Car wont start

DUSTLACE
  • 1998 TOYOTA COROLLA
  • 200 MILES
I have a 98 Toyota Corolla with just over 200K on it. Went to the gas station couple of nights it didn't start. Paid and pumped gas then got in and turned key to accessories so I could get digital odometer to display and wrote it down (I always write down mileage, how much $, how many gal, and price per gal)put notepad back in glove box and went to start car and dashboard lights and odometer all went out and car would not turn over. Tried several times and nothing.

Asked for a jump from person next to me. And nothing. Not even a little crackle when hooking up cables (how I know theres a good connection btwn cars).

I tried putting it in to neutral, BUT it was stuck in PARK! I depressed the little black button next to shifter, which released the shifter so I could put it in neutral but still nothing. As if there was no battery in car, although dash did light up twice when I was trying to start it and shift from Park to Neutral. Every time I put it Park though shifter would lock up and had to push little black button next to shifter to release it.

Gas station was closing down so I ended up pushing it literally into a parking spot @ store adjacent to gas station and asked for it not to be towed that I would be back. I'm going to walk back to car tomorrow but it is a good 2 miles from my apt and hoping I can fix it so as to not have to walk back to apt. There is an O'Reilys just a few blocks from where car is and salvage yard another 3-4 miles in opposite direction of my apt.

I am in dire straits and need the car to find a job (yes, unemployed) so I'm sure you can understand I don't have funds to do the trial and error approach or maybe I should say if this doesn't work, buy this, if that doesn't work buy this (as a lot of places will try to do because I'm a female and don't know any better).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I've been on your site past two days and looked in forums but hope this will be best approach. I'm running out of time.
Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 1:20 AM

FIXITMR
Check battery cables and body grounds from battery. Check all fuses. Might be a bad ignition switch also. Has any problem like this happened before?
Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 7:49 AM
DUSTLACE
Thank you for your help. No, I've never had this problem before with the car. I almost want to pull my hair out but that wont solve anything. Don't think anyway. Lol

I just got back from the car and I didn't have much luck. I got in car and everything on dash lit up but when tried to start the dash went blank/no lights. The battery registered @ 13 and I could only find 2 body grounds (neg), which appeared to be okay. The positive ran across car and couldn't find the end- too much other stuff in way. I took air filter out so I could follow the lines from battery. Could you tel me where I might find a wiring schematic for the car?

Only one fuse seemed to be bad and it was a small 15 amp for the dome light. I also checked the brake switch way up on the brake pedal and that appeared okay. I broke paper clip in half and put that in the park-neutral switch to complete the circuit and if I remember correctly think dash lit up for a second then nothing.

I asked a customer at the gas station for a jump-nothing. Then disconnected my battery and tried to start car off their battery-nothing. I brought battery home so I could put on slow charge, better be safe than sorry, right? How do I check ignition switch?
Oh, it still wont shift out of Park w/o me manually overriding it with black button near shifter.

Thank you again for helping, it gives me hope.
Monday, April 18th, 2011 AT 1:40 AM
FIXITMR
Best bet now is to re-ask question and put "cardiodoc" in your title title he is one of the best I have seen on this site. My wiring source has a bad page on your car so I cant help much more. Good luck
Monday, April 18th, 2011 AT 2:09 AM
DUSTLACE
Thank you!
Monday, April 18th, 2011 AT 2:27 AM