Stalls

DAYTON99
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY
Car stalls and shuts down at intersections every now and then and wont start up again (98 Camry). After 5-10 minutes it starts up fine and runs like normal for another few days. I put in a new fuel filter and thought the prob. Was dealt with until today when it tried to stall at a red light. I put it in park reved the engine up until light turned green and avoided stopping until my house. It conked out just before my driveway and I had enough momentum to get it in w/out the power steering/brakes. It wouldn't start back up. 10 mins later started perfect and seemed fine. My mechanic is a rookie and he says w/out witnessing the problem, he has no idea. Im worried to let my wife drive it anywhere in case it happens to her. Any Idea?
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 3:47 PM

KHLOW2008
It could be a failing fuel pump or its controlling circuits, ignition switch or ignition sparks problem.

When problem occurs and could not be started, you need to perform test to find out what is missing causing the nonstarting.

When engine stalled, were the dash indicator lights showing?

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Our top trouble-shooting guide has quite a comprehensive list for you to go through for testings. Above link is one of it.
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM
DAYTON99
Ya, as the engine began to sputter they were off and as it shut off they all went on. When trying to start immediately after the engine wouldn't turn over after several attempts. Not even close. The starter works fine thought. As I said its strange because I went inside and came back out and the thing starts like a champ. I drove it all day today with no issues. This has happened now 7 or 8 times in the last 2 months. Ive taken it in 3 times to the mechanic. He starts it and of course it works great in his presence. I dont know about testing it when the problem occurs because it just happens spontaneously. Usually in a bad situation in rush hour or at a major intersection. What test can I do at the point when it happens? My buddies shop is only 20 minutes away, but by the time I get the car started and get it over there the damn thing starts fine consistently. If I can do the test myself then at least I can get a better idea of what the specific problem is. Its driving me crazy. Thanks again
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 11:51 PM
KHLOW2008
Click the link posted in my previous answer to get an idea what to look for.
Friday, November 26th, 2010 AT 11:59 AM