1998 Toyota Camry overdrive

IK
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY
When to use overdrive, is it in the city(we move and stop a lot in my city) or when I'm travelling on the highway.
My question is relation to fuel economy and my transmission. Want to use less fuel and don't want my transmission to go bad.
Thanks.
Sunday, January 11th, 2015 AT 1:03 PM

You can use overdrive at any time if you are at repeated stop and go then go to drive but even on city eway it will do better.
Sunday, January 11th, 2015 AT 2:09 PM
IK
Pardon me bro. Still not clear. Wish you would give me definites.
Use overdrive or not in city where you usually have stop and go situations.
Use overdrive or not on highway.
Question is in relation to the fuel and transmission safety.
Thanks.
:)
Sunday, January 11th, 2015 AT 2:22 PM
Use overdrive on the expressway and in city as long as it's not stop and go when it does that then switch to drive. In either case you won't hurt the transmission. The thing that kills a transmission is overheating it like towing a heavy load which your car can't tow that heavy of a load. Fuel mileage is up and down because of the way people drive their cars as well as engine problems like check engine light coming on and not fixing the problem.
Sunday, January 11th, 2015 AT 3:45 PM
IK
Cool. Ok then. Since my town is a go and stop kinda place(you stop, move for about 2-3 mins then there is another reason to stop again, then you move for say 5 mins without stopping and then stop again), I will stick to leaving it off(from what you said) then at the end of the month when I always travel, will switch to overdrive for the highway trip, put it off again when I get to my destination to put it on on my trip back to base.
Is this right/ok, @Hmac300.
My fuel consumption will be more economical and I won't fry my transmission.
Sunday, January 11th, 2015 AT 4:18 PM
Yup
Monday, January 12th, 2015 AT 7:39 AM
IK
Thanks Sir. Will run this for a while, will give you a feedback in a while.
Monday, January 12th, 2015 AT 2:17 PM
IK
Good day Hmac Sir. Trust alls good with you. Been running the car just the way agreed, overdrive off in the city, overdrive on when on the highway, and boy, with the overdrive off in the city, the fuel in the car kinda just disappears, jeez, its all gone before you know it, on the highway with the overdrive on, its bettter.
What you think man?
Rem, its a toyota camry 1998 auto.4 cyl. Done 230k on the odo.
Thursday, January 15th, 2015 AT 12:19 AM
I kinda said in one of my replies it really doesn't matter a heck of a lot but to keep it in overdrive all the time. Sometimes you just have to let people learn by themselves. Keep it in overdrive.
Thursday, January 15th, 2015 AT 6:43 AM
IK
Thanks man. It stays on overdrive now. Thanks again.
Thursday, January 15th, 2015 AT 8:40 AM