Starter just keeps running

MATT666
  • 1998 SUBARU OUTBACK
If I start my car it wont shut back off without disconnecting the battery. Then if I hook it back up the starter starts running and if the key is on it will start and run. But if key is off the starter just keeps running. I replaced the ignition switch and it did the same thing. Don't know were to go from there.

Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 6:28 AM

WRENCHTECH
It sound like the starter solenoid it stuck ion which is common but to confirm the issue. Here is the starter wiring diagrams and a guide to help you see what's going on.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 8:45 AM
MATT666
There hasnt been any recent work done on the car. It just started doing it yesterday.
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 9:01 AM
WRENCHTECH
Is this problem just the starter staying engaged or that the engine won't shut off?
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 9:57 AM
MATT666
Kinda both. If the key is on and you hook up the battery it will start and run. But has like a miss. If the key is off and you hook up the battery then the starter just keeps running. If the car is running you can turn it off and take the key out and it keeps running. Then you have to disconnect the battery to get it to shut off. I got an ignition switch and put it in and it did the same thing so I put the old one back in. No need to waste $40. Everyone I talk to says that a relay would just go bad. But I wouldnt know what ones to check or how. Is there an ignition rely? Or the starter rely?
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 10:56 AM
WRENCHTECH
That's why I am asking. If this is ONLY a starter problem, then a relay could cause it but if the engine actually stays running, there is something else going on that will have to be chased down.
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 11:09 AM
MATT666
I guess maybe iy could be a starter problem. Its just keepn it running cuz the starter made it. Its like it restarts maybe? If the key is off the starter just keeps running. So would the starter rely be a good place to start? Got any ideas?
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 11:55 AM
WRENCHTECH
Yeah, I's start with the starter relay.
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 12:01 PM
MATT666
Thank you for your help.
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 12:09 PM
MATT666
I just called subaru to try to get a starter rely and it does not list one for an automatic. They said it does not hav one. So that sucks. I guess ill just have to start pulling relys out and test them all?
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 12:27 PM
WRENCHTECH
Yours has a security interrupt relay instead. It has to be that or the neutral switch on the transmission.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/Starterwiring98Outback.jpg
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 12:40 PM
MATT666
Ok. Thats what ill start checking then. Thank you fou your help.
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 1:13 PM