MY CAR WAS FINE TILL I SAW IT HAD LOW OIL AND PUT SOME IN NOW ITS STALLING AND ACTING UP. WHATS WRONG?

1998 Pontiac Sunfire

SkylarRobinson

November, 18, 2011 AT 2:55 PM

I checked my oil when I was at my boyfriends house, it was low, so he put some in, maybe like a quart or so just to get me home and get some oil, I told my mom I didnt know why type he put in, and I didnt want to mess up my car with different oil, but she said it didnt matter, when I was dropping my friend off after I left my boyfriends house, it stalled in his driveway, my engine just shut off. And my car didnt want to start at first, after my mom put two quarts of oil in my car she told me to let it run and cycle through before I go to work, I did and when I put it in drive to leave, the engine shut off again, and then when I was at a red light, the engine did it, it did about 4 times total. I left my car at work all night because I was afraid to drive it. When I was moving it before I left for work, someone I worked with, said I should drive it around the block and see what it does, my oil light didnt come on like it was before, and the engine wasnt turning off when I was stopped. But im afraid theres still something wrong with it

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

November, 18, 2011 AT 3:51 PM

How long since a tune-up? Check applicable trouble codes. When the problem was ongoing with low oil, was the temp rising? Was there any oil showing on the dipstick?

SkylarRobinson

November, 27, 2011 AT 3:16 AM

Not sure about the tune up, my temperature was higher than normal, but when I was noticing that I didnt know about the oil yet. We put coolant in it, and found out I have a coolant leak because I will have to put more in at least 3 times a week. When I checked my oil when the light was on, there was very little oil on the dipstick, maybe a drop, put three quarts in, and it was showing up as full, which it shouldnt if my engine was empty on oil, could it be a pressure problem that maybe the oil just isn't getting to the engine?

November, 27, 2011 AT 6:44 PM

Check oil pressure.