Wrangler no start

STEVE98TJ
  • 1998 JEEP WRANGLER
Hi, I have a 98 jeep wrangler 4.0 automatic trans. It will not srart. I have NO check engine light, and the gauges are dead.I do have odometer, brake and abs lights just the gauges are not responding. I also have no power to the ign. Coil. I checked all the fuses all are good, The local garage replaced the ecm yesterday, same thing nothing changed. I dont know what else to do. Please help. I was reading a post back last july there was a guy with same problem on his jeep if possible what did he find wrong. Thanks A bunch Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 3:09 PM

Others may jump in and help you.I may get stuck!

Imma really good CJ guy (I answer their forums quite a bit), new stuff baffles me a lot too!

As far as finding the old post you mentioned, we have a "Search Thingee!" Install the "Wrangler", year, key words that you remember, you might find it!

Right now, I might can offer this advise. May seem harsh."Manual, Tedious Work", I do not know what sorta environment you are in, or what sorta H. Ell Damage you Baby may have endured over the years.

Go to the auto parts store and get a tube of "Dielectric Grease" (looks like a tube of silicone gasket)

Needle nose pliers help. Remove and install all fuses, several times, this sorta scrapes off corrosion. Maybe with a "Acid Brush" (like us plumbers use to smear flux onto copper fittings) Smear the fuses' contacts and the Jeep end also. Same goes for relays, and also unplug wire harness connections several times and use the grease

This may or may not be your problem---It will hurt nothing!

If possible, and to save time, begin with the systems, that have no power.

I may also be able to get you some wire diagrams that could aid you in tracing systems down

Keep me posted on progress, and any "wants", I might be able to provide

The Medic
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 3:36 PM
STEVE98TJ
Thanks cj medevac! The jeep is really clean never in mud or offroad just a fun dailey driver. I will check all the connections and the fuses, I assumed the garage did that but obviously not since I just spent 300 bucks on a comp. For nothing. Is the check engine light not on because there is no power to the ecm? What about power to coil where does it get its power from Thanks a bunch!
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 4:05 PM
Just slingin' more maybe useless info

I tried to scan my sister's Tahoe

Scanner would not work at all!

Found the cigarette lighter did not work, as I went to "Fire up" a "Doral Menthol 100"

. Niece decided, months ago, a "penny" fit perfectly within it!

Digging out the US Currency, seemed to be the hardest part of the operation.

However, I sorta viewed it as a labor reimbursement as I, stuck it in my pocket, knowing it would be all that I would get!

When I replaced the fuse. All was fine!

Proceeded to /and replaced a sensor, the 4 codes that were present, never came back. What a Deal. Free mechanic, due to similar DNA!

Keep me informed!

I'll hang with you until you determine I'm either incompetent, or you're running!

The Medic
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 4:23 PM
Missing voltage to the ignition coil is a false clue. It comes from the automatic shutdown relay which turns on for one second after turning on the ignition switch, and again during engine rotation, (cranking or running). That means someone has to be cranking the engine when testing for that voltage.
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 5:42 PM
STEVE98TJ
Found It! After replacing the pcm that didnt fix the problem We done intence wire tracing I had power and ground to the pcm. We found that when I unplugged the crank sensor the check engine light came on and the gauges started to responde. I replaced the crank sensor and guess what? She started right up and runs fine. I drove it to work lastnight with no problems. I assume the sensor shorted out to groud and locking up the pcm. I hope this helps someone else I lost several hairs off my head on this weird problem. Have a good Day!
+2
Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 AT 5:46 PM
Happy to hear the good news. The Engine Computer will shut down the power supply for those sensors to protect it from shorts, but it never occurred to me that the gauges and Check Engine light would be affected. That's a clue that will have to stored in my internal memory.
Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 AT 9:11 PM