Starting car problem

PMP
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
Hi, ive been having a problem starting my car when hot. It drives fine once its started. But if I go into a store for say 5 minutes and go back to start it and I have to hold my hand on the key for like 5-10 seconds then it gets started and idles really low for another 5 seconds. A mechanic told me its the timing what do you think? Im really getting sick of this car already it has too many problems. I ran the check engine scanner from auto zone and when it idles low the IGN ADV degrees was like 3-6 and at idle it was 10-11 is that good? Is my engine getting ready to blow?
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 12:47 AM

Check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge to see if the fuel pressure is within specification -start here
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 1:01 AM
PMP
I dont have a pressure guage my mechanic said he thinks its the distributor timing. When I get it started the engine sounds like its running off 3 cylinders like when you take a spark plug wire out. Then goes up to normal
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 1:07 AM
PMP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwKFBV4gS0E

this is what happens but get it started eventually
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 1:43 AM
PMP
New distrbutor too a few months ago
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 1:43 AM
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 2:37 AM