1998 Ford Windstar Electrical

SPOPETE
  • 1998 FORD WINDSTAR
I've had the van since 77,000 miles. Various electrical issues throughout 10 years ownership. Currently the passenger window won't go down with power button. Read wiper won't work. Sometimes the overhead light comes on and stays on until I give the car some gas and then goes off but goes back on at the stop sign. On and off the door open signal light comes on and/or goes off.

How do I troubleshoot to find these problems? My mechanics said I'd have to take it a specialist in electrical problems, but that would cost more than the car is worth. Overall great transportation.
Wednesday, August 26th, 2015 AT 3:23 PM

WRENCHTECH
Unless you have a deep understanding of electrical circuits, this isn't going to be for you.

I can help you out with the door ajar issue though.

The switches that control the lights for open doors are made right into the door latches and they have a history of sticking and causing problems like that.

Here is a technique that often works well and eliminates the problem at no cost.

Get a can of spray lube like WD40 or something like it and has a straw on the nozzle. Spray it generously up into the latch mechanism. Now open and close the door numerous times to work it in. Repeat this process several times. Since you don't really know which door is causing the problem, you should do all of them. It's usually caused by the most frequently used door but it's not guaranteed to be that one.

If this doesn't work, you may need a new latch and switch.
Wednesday, August 26th, 2015 AT 3:58 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
SpoPete

Thanks, I'll try that. The electrical circuits act like they are possessed. When I bought the car the check engine light was off. As soon as I went to get the car inspected the light came on and stayed on for a couple thousand miles and then went off. Since then it comes on and goes off without logic.
Friday, August 28th, 2015 AT 1:55 PM
WRENCHTECH
You would have to get the codes read to have any idea why that is on.
Friday, August 28th, 2015 AT 3:06 PM