98 Ford - a slow climb

DUSTCIRCLE
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • 247 MILES
1998 Ford Taurus SE.

Gears were fighting to shift yesterday while at work (I deliver pizzas), so I knew I'd have to touch up the transmission fluid, and probably check other fluids. I do this weekly, at least.

Started up the car this morning, and it sounded like it was trying sputter out. Figured it was just cold, I let it idle (faster idle, as of past 2 weeks).

Going down the road (to get ATF), the car wouldn't accelerate fast, nor go above 45mph. Checked the fluid at the store--VERY low--and filled it up. This is when I noticed the engine near the dash was lightly smoking and smelled weird. The inside of the car smelled the same.

I started up the car, let it idle, and went home. The whole way, the car did the same: slow acceleration, slight fluid smell, but no smoke.

Did I ruin the tranny, or is it something else? All my other fluids are fine, and I take care of the car well. Just have been working a lot recently. I must admit, I do have about 250k miles on it. Is it just dying? Thanks!
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 7:22 PM

Did you check to see what was causing the smoke?
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 5:31 AM