Won't start

GZJOURNEY
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
'98 Ford Ranger XLT - Suddenly, without any warning - at all, truck won't start. Battery seems strong. Not sure if it could be the starter switch, selenoid, starter or loose wire that may have shorted something out.
Sunday, May 8th, 2011 AT 1:26 PM

Let's tighten every connection between the Battery and the starter---and the ground side too. Include any connection to the battery cables, meaning the "squeezers" on the battery clamps

Return with any sounds you can hear while cranking. This could be the Solenoid Bad, or someone knocked "S" Wire off of it---the starter could be bad

Before you go too wild, do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

I may can still talk you thru testing, if you have one, and catch on quickly!

Your turn--mega detail is appreciated!

The Medic
Sunday, May 8th, 2011 AT 3:20 PM
GZJOURNEY
Hi CJ Medevac - Thanks for the response. The truck is at my sister's place (20 minutes away). I'll be going over there a little later this afternoon & will try as you suggested. The back-n-forth of our dialogue will take some time (sister has no internet); but, I will do my best to send as much detail as possible when I get back online. I REALLY appreciate your help!
Will be in touch
Thx again -g.
Sunday, May 8th, 2011 AT 3:48 PM
Roger, You should get you a '76-'82 CJ. You would still be riding now!

Or as I have, a '77 CJ 5 (Mr. Jeep) or a '46 Willys (Willy)!

I'll try to help all I can, I do best with the Jeeps!

The Medic
Sunday, May 8th, 2011 AT 4:10 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

to add to CJ MEDEVAC.

Follow the possitive cable from the battery to the Starter Relay Solenoid jump the 2 large terminals if turns over replace it.
Sunday, May 8th, 2011 AT 4:43 PM
BOBBI_JO
I have a 98 ford ranger 4cl 4wd. My problem is that sometimes I will get n and try to start it. It will crank over but wont start. Then I will let it set for little awhile then it will start up. What could be wrong
Monday, September 4th, 2017 AT 8:51 AM
KEN
It sounds like it is the fuel pump or relay, when it wont start can you hear the fuel pump in the tank turn on with the key in the on position?

Please let us know.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 AT 3:11 PM