My wont start

DUCKMAN1058
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
I had to get a jump start tonight and then when I got home I tried to start my truck as soon as I shut it off and had nothing. I think its my alternator not charging my battery and draining it. What do you think?
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:16 AM

It could be the alt or a bad battery. What I recommend is this. Disconnect the neg terminal from the battery and recharge the battery. Then, take the battery to a parts store and ask them to load test the battery. If it passes, chances are the alt is the problem. Before replacing it, however, have it bench tested at a parts store too. Most stores will do both for free hoping to sell you a part. If both pass and are good, then you need to check the fuseable link between the alt and the battery. Check it for continunity. That would be the last thing stoping the battery from getting a charge unless there is a bad battery cable.

Check that and let me know what you find. Also, let me know if you have other questions.

Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:25 AM
Measure the battery voltage with an inexpensive digital voltmeter with the engine off. It should read near 12.6 volts when it's fully charged. If it's around 12.0 volts, it's good but discharged. At 11.0 volts, suspect a shorted cell.

With the engine running, it must measure between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it stays around 12 volts, there are tests to determine if the generator, voltage regulator, or wiring are the problem.

Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:27 AM