ENGINE RACES WHILE COASTING

1998 Ford Ranger

David Kite

June, 17, 2011 AT 3:23 AM

I have 1998 Ranger 2Wd, 2.5 liter engine. When I push the clutch in to coast to a stop the engine continues to race at high RPM. If I let out the clutch the engine is dragged down to appropriate speed, but if I push the clutch back in the RPMs race back up to high speed until I come almost to a complete stop. Then the RPMs drop to idle speed.

Danlesabre

June, 17, 2011 AT 4:33 AM

Is there a check engine light on? If recent work (or tinkering) has been performed are there any wires under the hood that have been pinched or melted?

David Kite

June, 17, 2011 AT 10:50 PM

The Check Engine light wasn't on until TODAY! It just came on, so I don't think that was the cause. I think that is just another symptom.
The problem seems to be worse when the A/C is running. I'm in Texas so that's just about all the time. When I push in the clutch to coast to a stop the engine races at about 3K RPM until I come almost a complete stop. Then it slows to idle speed.
Another thing. When the A/C is on and at idle, like at a stop light, the engine surges to about 1200 RPM for a few seconds then slows to about 600 RPM (pretty slow), almost slow enough to die, for the same amount of time. It alternates back and forth unto the light changes and I start up. It doesn't do that when the A/C isn't on.
Thanks for your help on this. I'm stumped.

Danlesabre

June, 18, 2011 AT 2:28 AM

This might sound like a strange question but. Have you checked all the fuses under the hood and inside the car? And does the problem ONLY occur when the A/C is on?

BMRFIXIT

June, 18, 2011 AT 10:06 AM

Lazy or dirty IAC valve remove and clean 1st or replace
Check AC if low on refrigerant

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox