CLUTCH NOT WORKING PROPERLY

1998 Ford Mustang

2CarPros-Archives

February, 7, 2011 AT 5:58 PM

1998 Ford Mustang : I recently took my Mustang GT into a Ford service center for a slipping clutch. They told me that I have a self-adjusting clutch and that the clutch assembly needed to be replaced. After having it replaced, I have found that the clutch is a lot looser than before and as I drive, it is constantly changing from tight to loose to tight again. The clutch never did that before. I did a little research on this, and found that there should only be about an inch of play in the clutch. I have more than that. I talked to three different people at the Ford center, one of which was the service manager and they told me that it was working just fine and there was nothing else they could do for it. I took my car into a different service center for a second opinion. I was told that the master cylinder on my car controls both the clutch and the brakes. He told me that the master cylinder is leaking and needs to be replaced. I went back to the Ford service center and told them what I found. They said no, that the master cylinder does not do that and should not need to be replaced. Here's my question: Does the master cylinder control the clutch and brakes and if so, and it is leaking, by having it replaced would this fix my clutch problem? Is there anything else that would cause this 'slipping' of my clutch?

2CarPros-Archives

February, 7, 2011 AT 6:00 PM

Your car is equipped with two master cylinders, the clutch master cylinder and the brake master cylinder. The clutch also has a slave cylinder that operates the clutch. It appears that either one or both of the master cylinders is faulty causing your problem.

cadieman

October, 9, 2015 AT 12:55 PM

]THE CLUTCH TRYS TO KEEP THE PREASSURE DOWN IN THE SYSTEM. TO CK. IF IT'S WORKING TURN THE AIR ON AND REV. THE MOTOR UP. WHEN THE PRESSAURE GETS HIGH ENOUGH. THE CLUTCH WILL DISENGAUGE THIS IS THE ONLY WAY IT WILL DISENGAGE WITEN THESYSTEM IS FULL!

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions