RANDOMLY WONT START

1998 Ford F-150

dahler89

October, 22, 2013 AT 6:26 PM

I have a 98 f150 with a 4.2l v6. Last winter for some reason the truck would turn over but would not start. I burnt up the starter trying. It would only start if hooked up to a battery charger and it went like that for weeks. Then it was fine all summer and now its doing it again but this time it was fine with the key in run position and as soon as I went to turn it over and lost all electricity. Hooked the charger to it everything light up and it fired right up no problem. I had just got home from work 3 hours before this and it was fine. Im not sure where to even start looking

madmike1735

October, 22, 2013 AT 7:34 PM

Does it turn over slower without the battery charger hooked up? From the sounds of it, your battery may be bad. Only makes since because if you hook up a charger, your basically eliminating the battery. A bad battery will also self drain it self. Start here before we go further.

dahler89

October, 23, 2013 AT 3:28 AM

Its a brand new battery I've only had it for six months. I replaced it the last time it did this. Last year it would turn over like normal and just wouldn't fire, now this year as soon as the starter engages all electric goes out. Beside this most recent time the truck ran fine just 3 hours before.

madmike1735

October, 25, 2013 AT 3:37 PM

Again, without testing the battery, I cant help you. Ive see batterys new off the shelf go bad after 3 days. It happens.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test