No electrical power Help!

CKH1992
  • 1998 FORD F-150
So today I was changing spark plugs on my 98 f150 and I touch one of the wires connected to the primary battery fuse on accident with a tool and got a spark. Didn't think much of it but now I have no power to anything in my car. No lights no click nothing. It's like the battery is not even in the car. Everything was fine up until today. Battery has power and tried jump starting but wouldn't take. Ive check the majority of the fuses. All seem fine as well as swapped many relays Any ideas?
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 4:18 AM

WRENCHTECH
You burned out a maxi-fuse or fusible link. Here is a guide to help you test for the maxi fuse that is blown

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Here are the fuse locations and identifications.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 6:22 AM
CKH1992
Any Idea as to what maxi fuse? As well as more detail on what and where for a fusible link. I'm not familiar with those?
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 8:12 AM
WRENCHTECH
A maxi fuse is a large, high amp fuse and a fusible link is special melting wire that acts as a fuse. You need to check all of them.
+1
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 9:20 AM
CKH1992
Could you possibly give me more detailed descriptions of where the maxi fuses are I've never seen one. Is the fuse(s) that may have blown more likely to be in the box under the hood or in the cab of the truck? I assume that it's one of the larger fuses. Is it possible for one to not work but not be visibly blown?
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 10:38 AM
WRENCHTECH
It's possible. The have to be tested. It's going to be one or more of the larger fuses.
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 11:46 AM
CKH1992
I have a multimeter. To test the fuses do I just check the ohm rating for resistance?
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 12:00 PM
WRENCHTECH
Test for voltage on both sides of the fuse.
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 1:08 PM
CKH1992
Test for voltage while still connected? And is any sign of voltage good or should it be a particular number
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 3:13 PM
CKH1992
So far I haven't found any bad fuses. But non of them are getting any voltage. What could cause that?
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 5:42 PM
WRENCHTECH
You have a main fuse blown somewhere.
-1
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 5:46 PM
CKH1992
I found the problem the MAXI fuse was blown 50 amp for the ignition switch. Thanks 2Carpros! I love this site
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 5:59 PM
EPC3762
I did the exact same thing today on my 1997 f-150. Got a spark then a pretty good puff of smoke. I hit the top fuse on the primary battery fuse wire feeding off the drivers side of the fuse. All while changing the rear plug on the passenger side. I hit it with my ratchet extension while it was attached to the plug. Solidly grounded it out. Any help on what you did to correct your situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed Cox
Saturday, May 16th, 2015 AT 6:15 PM
KEN

It sounds like the 50 AMP maxi fuse solved the problem can you check your by following the thread above please?

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, January 8th, 2018 AT 2:38 PM