Why won't my car start?

JMASE6
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
I have no idea why my car won't start.

One morning a week or so ago I put my key in and got a slow crank then a start. Then it was a slow crank and no start. Then I got it jumped, turned it off and like magic it started fine. So I drove to the auto store nearby and they said my battery tested fine and since I had an ugly terminal connection on my negative battery cable to replace it. After fixing that, it drove fine for the rest of the day. The next morning it wouldn't start. So I got a starter from a salvage yard (assuming it's good.). No start, just a click. Replaced the positive cable because I had a feeling it might be bad and that the poor connection might be why it wasn't starting. Nothing. Not even a click. But it did jump. And after removing the jumper cables it died less than 30 seconds later. So I replaced the alternator (also from the salvage yard). Still, not a damn thing.

I just do not get it. Any suggestions? Please help. My friends are getting tired of me asking for rides. Haha

Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 5:16 AM

FIXITMR
Maybe the ignition switch is bad?
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 5:50 AM
I know I sorta talk a little confusing, But maybe after about the 3 time you read thru the top half of this other post, you will understand the "Meat and Potatoes" part!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-ford-ranger-wont-start

Let us know what's a happenin'!

The Medic
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 1:40 PM
FIXITMR
You need to make sure battery is charged. And you need to test charging system. It also sounds like you have a a battery drain.
Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 5:31 AM
JMASE6
How does one test the charging system? Because the battery is actually brand new.
Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 3:44 PM
EZ HOME WAY, TEST BATTERY, NO JUMPER CABLES, WITH A VOLTMETER, NORMALLY YOU WILL GET 12 VOLTS MAYBE 12-1/2 VOLTS DC----NOT RUNNING!

THEN CRANK IT BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY---REMOVE JUMPER CABLES--TEST BATTERY WITH VOLTMETER--CAR RUNNING, IF ITS CHARGING YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY GET 13-16 VOLTS DC. IF BATTERYS 1ST TEST IS MORE THAN 2ND TEST, OR THE SAME, YOU ARE NOT CHARGING!

WATCH FOR MOVING PARTS!--BE CAREFUL!

Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 3:21 AM
JMASE6
Everything tested fine. So I just jumped it and drove it to a real mechanic. I've spent too much time and money already to keep failing. But oh well. Can't win them all. And for someone who rarely works on cars I would say I gave it a pretty good effort. Hopefully they can figure it out.
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 6:24 PM
JMASE6
Thanks for all the suggestions though!
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 6:24 PM
FIXITMR
Be sure and come back to tell us the solution for our own reference.
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 7:41 AM
JMASE6
Apparently the starter I replaced from the salvage yard was bad. They put on a rebuilt starter and it works fine now. Kind of ****es me off honestly. I spent mornings before work and early evening hours in freezing temps trying to figure that thing out. And the first major replacement was what would have fixed it had the thing not been shot already. Haha but i'm just happy to drive again. Where I live walking anywhere takes years. Haha
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 5:04 AM
I usually insert in my answers, Even NEW STUFF CAN BE BAD!

Sorry, I missed saying that this time, It might have saved you some time.

I just finished an answer about starting one up, I did write it in his

Here's a link to his Super "CJ MEDEVAC" Answer!

He ain't answered back yet.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-problems-starting-car

The Medic
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 6:21 AM
FIXITMR
When I buy stuff from junkyard I have them test it or I go to auto store and let them test it or I test it myself before install if possible.
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 4:55 AM