1998 Dodge Ram Ram has no spark

GONZO1234
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
I have 98 dodge ram 5.2 that wont start. The engine coolant temperature broke so the
wires touched the wire on the alternator. I think something shorted now the truck wont
start, it cranks but no spark and we have fuel. I have changed cam, crank, capsid coil and still no spank.
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 11:43 AM

I can't tell what damage the short might have done? As far as spark, check for primary voltage at the coil, engine cranking, Should be a green wire with orange tracer.

Can you tell if the computer is awake? With key on, check for ref voltage at any sensor that uses a ref voltage. If no ref voltage then have to check voltage and ground circuits to computer. If that is ok, have to suspect the computer.

Can you communicate with computer? Get an obd2 code reader, see if anything?

Hopefully it's just a blown fuse, somewhere?
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 12:24 PM
GONZO1234
I have p0113, p0118, p0123, p0463, p1492 are the codes I have. So I know the pcm is awake
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 12:32 PM
Do you know how old the codes are? If you erase the codes, do the codes come back? Sometimes multiple codes can mean computer or computer wiring issues?

Did you check primary voltage at the coil?

I will check the codes and get back to you.
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 12:47 PM
GONZO1234
The codes came on when the short happened. The check engine light was not on before. I did a coil test yesterday the voltmeter was low.
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 12:52 PM
GONZO1234
And if I delete the codes. They come right back
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 12:53 PM
I checked the codes, they are for various sensors, voltage too high. As an example, check the ref voltage to the throttle position sensor, key on. The wire color is violet with white tracer, ref voltage around 5 volts.

If you want to trace primary voltage to the coil and go at it that way, we can do that. I already gave you the wiring color, dark green with orange tracer. That voltage comes from asd relay, That doesn't mean the relay is faulty, there fuses involved and a computer ground circuit.

I'm not saying that the computer is faulty, I'm just trying to be thorough. I can't see anything from here?
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:10 PM
Does the battery have a full charge? Sometimes when hunting problems, it's not uncommon to run the battery down.
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:16 PM
GONZO1234
The throttle sensor has around 5 volts
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:18 PM
GONZO1234
Battery is charged
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:20 PM
Exactly how much voltage is going to your coil?

You can place digital multimeter leads across battery posts, have helper crank, what is reading? Usually it shouldn't go much below 10 volts. The actual reading on the positive side of the coil should be close to the same.
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:29 PM
GONZO1234
I did it yesterday and it didn't even get pass 1 volt
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:32 PM
One volt isn't enough, have to backtrack circuit. Check voltage to and from asd relay. Check fuse and voltage to fuse circuit, fuse 6--30 amp, fuse 9--10 amp. One fuse circuit is hot all the time, the other goes hot with the key on.
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:42 PM
GONZO1234
I'm not around the truck right now but I will do another coil test tomorrow and see what the volts are. Thanks for your help I'll get back to you ASAP. Do you think I should have the pcm tested?
-1
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 1:48 PM
At the moment, I'd try to follow the voltage. Let us know when you get a chance.
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 2:03 PM
GONZO1234
So I did the coil test again today and the green/orange wire well cranking had about 10.03 for about 2seconds then it dropped to about 0.40. Did the black wire also and it had about 12 volts.
-1
Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 AT 6:51 AM
GONZO1234
So I checked all the pins at the powertrain control module connectors. A2 has power but no ground.A31 no power but has ground. A4 no power but has ground.A32 no power but has ground.A22 has power but no ground.C11 no power but has ground.
-1
Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 AT 8:06 AM
Our wiring diagrams show c1 and c2 connectors, but, using c instead of a, everything you posted about those terminals appear to be correct.

When you first turn the key on, no crank, the computer will ground the asd relay for a couple seconds, then no ground without cam and crank sensor signal.
Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 AT 11:34 AM
GONZO1234
I have power to crank and cam.
-1
Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 AT 5:12 PM
GONZO1234
Also if the terminal appear to ok then what next
-1
Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 AT 8:33 PM
With engine cranking, the ground for the asd relay should be constant. The ground is controlled by the computer.

When you said the coil had decent voltage for a couple seconds and then went very low, makes me think, the computer stopped grounding the asd relay for some reason.
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 8:25 AM