My husbands mechanic told him he needed another.

ANONYMOUS
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
My husbands mechanic told him he needed another transmission because when you first start up the truck you can shift it just fine and drive it but, after the motor warms up it won't shift into any gears at all and you can't drive it. So we paid his mechanic to change out the transmission, and after they put in the other transmission, it did the same exact thing again. Do you think the transmission is the problem or is there something different wrong with the truck?
Monday, February 25th, 2013 AT 11:25 PM

SO I TAKE IT ALL PARTIES ARE STUMPED?

FIND YOU A SMALL TRANSMISSION SHOP WHO MIGHT OFFER OPINIONS, WITHOUT THE "JUST LEAVE IT HERE" OPTION

THESE DOG GONE COMPUTER CONTROLLED VEHICLES CAN THROW YOU FOR A LOOP

JUST TO "SLING SOMETHING AT YOU". MAY NOT BE THE PROBLEM.I'LL SLING IT ANYWAY

I WAS AT JUST ONE OF THOSE "GOOD BACKWOODS TRANNY SHOPS" A FEW WEEKS AGO (HE'S HELPED ME OUT IN THE PAST WITH MY WIFES FORD ESCAPE), I STOP IN FROM TIME TO TIME, AND SHOOT THE BULL (ASK ABOUT PEOPLE I'VE SENT TO HIM) AND TAKE THE 2 FELLERS THERE COFFEE OR SOFT DRINKS. THIS SORTA "RELATIONSHIP" KEEPS MY COSTS DOWN, WHENEVER I MIGHT NEED THEM!

WHILE I WAS THERE, THEY WERE EXPLAINING HOW THEY JUST FINISHED PULLING AND RE-INSTALLED A TRANNY FOR THE SECOND TIME (SYMPTOMS SORTA LIKE YOURS). SEEMS THEY FIGURED OUT IT WAS NOT AN INTERNAL PROBLEM IN THE TRANNY, IT WAS THE DANG THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) ON THE THROTTLE BODY. IT NOT ONLY INPUTS DATA FOR THE ENGINE, IT ALSO "TELLS" THE TRANNY STUFF TOO.

HE WENT INTO THE WHOLE PROCESS OF WHAT WAS AND WASN'T HAPPENING BECAUSE OF THE TPS FAILURE. HE WAS REALLY WOUND UP AND INTO IT. KINDA LIKE HOW I GET WHEN IT COMES TO ANSWERING A JEEP CJ 5 OR 7 HERE ON 2CARPROS!

HE GOT WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE WITH HIS EXCITEMENT (THAT'S WHY HE GETS ANY AUTOMATIC TRANNY ISSUES THAT FALL ON ME. SUCKERS ARE COMPLICATED. EVEN OLD ONES WITHOUT A COMPUTER)

MAYBE YOURS WILL BE SOMETHING OVERLOOKED AND INEXPENSIVE. THERE'S ALWAYS THE "JEEP OPTION"!

MY JEEPS HAVE "STANDARD 3 SPEED TRANNYS". SO DARN EZ TO WORK ON!

THEY'LL BE HERE FOREVER, "MR. JEEP" IS 37, "WILLY" IS 67 YEARS YOUNG, BOTH ARE DAILY DRIVERS

GOOD LUCK. LET US KNOW HOW IT'S WORKING OUT

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 AT 3:51 PM
A FEW DIDN'T MAKE IT---THE ONES FOR "MR. JEEP" WITH THE COLORFUL TRANNY AND TRANSFER CASE, ALL OF THEM PERTTY $800 PARTS FOR A COMPLETE 100% TRANSMISSION REBUILD (EVERY INTERNAL PART, LESS THE CASE, IS LAYING ON THAT ARMY BLANKET!). IT LIKE NEW AGAIN! (A $3500 OR MORE PROCEDURE, HAD I NOT DONE IT MYSELF!)

HERE THEY ARE. AGAIN

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 AT 4:03 PM