Help please

SK8TERBRU
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
I have a question about my a/c on my 98 ram 1500.I recharged the freon. My a/c clutch does not kick on ever so I hot wired it from my battery to my positive wire going to the clutch and it kicks on and runs no problem. The compressor also runs so that tells me the compressor isnt frozen up or else the belt would squeel. What am I missing?
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 5:19 AM

DANLESABRE
When you recharged it, how many ounces did you add?
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 5:29 AM
SK8TERBRU
I am not sure. I added one of those all in one cans. The oil stop leak and freon but I know for sure it was a little taller than the small normal can. Do I need more or what? What would happen if the low pressure switch is bad? Would it just keep the clutch running or would it not work at all? Im almost to the point where I am gonna take it in but I hate letting anyone work on my truck which im sure you understand. Thanks for all the help by the way
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 2:43 AM
DANLESABRE
A bad low pressure switch could be the problem, there also is a high pressure switch so you can actually have too much in the system and the clutch not turn on. Do you have a gauge or anything to have an idea of what's in the system?
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 3:14 AM
SK8TERBRU
I do but I think it may be broken because I jumped the clutch to make sure it was on when I filled the freon and the guage seemed to vary so I thought I put in too much so when the can was empty I unscrewed the can and used the guage by itself and it said it was way to full so I purged the system down till the guage read it was ful and safe. So what do you think?
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 3:19 AM
DANLESABRE
When you jumped power to the clutch did it turn on?

Can you better explain the pressure varying. Was clutch on? What was the pressure ranges it varied from & to? Did vents blow cold air?

When you purged the system down, was the compressor clutch on?
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
SK8TERBRU
When I jumped the clutch it turned on yes. Thats the only way I can get it to come on. When I jumped the clutch is when I charged the system and it started out low and I filled it until it was full and safe and yes the clutch ran the whole time due to me jumping the power to it. And I thought I felt a little cold air coming out but am not sure. Im pretty sure if it was charging it would be considerably colder unless I am mistaken. And I had the clutch off and checked the pressure on the line and it was way to full so thats why and when I purged it down to the safe full level. Its so aggravating. I hate when I cant fix something.
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 4:51 AM
DANLESABRE
Is the fan shroud intact? Is the fan electric, or does it run off a pulley on the belt? I ask this because air has to be sucked through the condenser to cool the freon which makes it change from a gas to a liquid.
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:00 AM
SK8TERBRU
The fan shroud is intact and the fan is driven by the pulley. If the condenser is bad will it not cool the freon enough to make the pressure for the pressure switch to tell the clutch to kick on?
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:09 AM
DANLESABRE
As long as the air flow through the condenser is good and the fan is pulling air past it (ensure there are no restrictions such as a plastic bag or something), there is no problem there. A restriction to the airflow in the condenser can cause the high pressure switch to trip (so the answer to your question is yes).

I'm assuming your gauge connects to the low side port, what are the pressure readings?
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:23 AM
SK8TERBRU
I am heading to bed now. If its ok with you we can resume the conversation tomorrow? Gotta get up early for work. Sorry. Thanks again.
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:26 AM
DANLESABRE
That's fine, I'm heading to bed too. I should get off work around 5-6 and I have an exhaust leak to fix after I get out of work so I will check my email and computer stuff much later in the day/evening. Feel free to post any other info about the system that you come across.
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:33 AM