1998 Dodge Neon Not Starting

BRANDONJAMES
  • 1998 DODGE NEON
My car will turn over but not starting. I have NO accessories that are working, headlights, head lamps, radio etc. I changed the ignition switch and checked the fuses they are good. What could be the issues?
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:32 PM

MADMIKE1735
The accessory issue you describe, do they never work, or stop during cranking? Usually during cranking, your car will cut power to accessories to keep amps up during cranking. Do these work with just the key on? Have you checked the charge on the battery?
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:37 PM
BRANDONJAMES
The car turns over but there is nothing wrong with the battery. The accessories are not working when I turn my key to the accessory position they are not working. There is no fire to the engine no headlights nothing but it is cranking.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:42 PM
MADMIKE1735
It sounds as we need to diag your no accessories when the keys on, before going on with the no start. Let me get the facts. How do you know the battery is good? Im not calling you a liar or anything, dont take it like that. Just need to make sure you have the amps /voltage behind it. When your key is in the on position, if you turn your headlights on, blower motors, wipers, radio, nothing works, I assume from what you described. Does your instrument cluster illuminate? If anything works, what does? Dome lights? Power locks, windows?
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:54 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Nothing Works when the key is in the on position. When you try and start it, it will crank the engine but no start. I checked the voltage on the battery and its good. Nothing else works.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 6:00 PM
MADMIKE1735
Ok. Im gonna start digging deep, and see what I can find. Did this just happen, or was work done to the car, then it happened? Any info will further help in diag would make life easier.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 6:18 PM
MADMIKE1735
How mechanically inclined are you, and what do you have for access to scan tool, and multimeter equipment?
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 6:25 PM
MADMIKE1735
Im going through the wiring diagrams. As far as nothing working (accessories) most of them anyways, radio, dome lights, instrument cluster. Have you check the fuses under the hood? Fuseblock located behind battery? Fuse 13 controls these. Its a 10 amp. Verify thats good. Your headlights are not controlled by this fuse, and that has me digging deeper. If you have a test light, we can verify power on both sides of all your fuses. If you dont have power going to a fuse, we may beable to determine the circuit its on, and if its related.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 6:39 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Yes I checked the fuses they are good (Under the hood and inside the car). I also tested the power supplies and they are good. I used my test light. I am at a stand still.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 6:50 PM
MADMIKE1735
Do you own a digital multimeter? A testlight is a useful tool, but can mislead. For example, a circuit that requires 30 amps to run, wont work with a semi-broken wire. By semi broken, I mean 60strands of wire, and lets say only 3 are unbroken. It will carry voltage, and illuminate a testlight, but wont carry amperage to run a component. Follow? Anyways, lets start from the beginning. Your battery. It will split off, and should feed your under hood link. Verify you have power at all fuses there. A testlight will just illuminate, but if u use a DMM, you should have battery voltage at each fuse. If not, we can narrow it down even further.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:02 PM
BRANDONJAMES
I have a power probe and tested all the fuse boxes they are live. There is power to the ignition switch. There is power to all the fuses. There is not power to anything (headlights, turning signals, etc. NO POWER TO NOTHING to engine compartment no fuel pump, coil, nothing to injectors. All it does is crank.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:16 PM
MADMIKE1735
Ok. From the battery, your positive lead will go to your underhood fuse/relay block. You do, or dont have power there?
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:31 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Yes it has power.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:34 PM
MADMIKE1735
Im confused here. You said u have power to the underhood fuseblock, but you dont have power at the fuses? Disconnect battery. Then disassemble your fuseblock. Underneath will be a bunch of wires, check for any burnt. Its possible it may burned up underneath this block, and burned most circuits, but not all. Let me know what you find
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:56 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Didn't mean to mislead you. I have power to the fuses. I have checked everything with my power probe. It all has power. The box, the fuses, the battery everything. But I have no accessories that work.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:03 PM
MADMIKE1735
Ok, so fuse panel underhood, and incar has power to it, and fuses have power to them. This is wierd, because for example, fuse 13 has power to it, and out of it, your interior lights, instrument panel, radio, etc would work. You have no injector pulse, no power to fuel pump, right?
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:14 PM
MADMIKE1735
Without a good scan tool, we cant check crank/cam sync, or even just verify crank signal. Usually cranksensors fail in the neons, but ive replaced just as many cam sensors. I have seen pcms fail also. Not too common. Without this car in front of me, and my diagnostic equipment, its going to be difficult
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:19 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Correct no power. The only thing getting power in my entire car is fuse box(s) ignition switch, starter, and battery : all has power. Nothing else.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:20 PM
MADMIKE1735
If you have power to everything, but nothing works, im at a loss.I would need the car in front of me, and I would need to go through it. I am leaning towards a pcm issue, but its possible your ignition is bad. Without bypassing, I cant be certain.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:28 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Thanks for hanging in there. Any last suggestions? We changed the ignition switch checked everything.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:31 PM
BRANDONJAMES
Thanks again, figured it out it was a ground wire by my headlight switch.
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 9:03 PM