1998 Dodge Durango Front Wheels

BENNETBLUE
  • 1998 DODGE DURANGO
I just had a used transmission put in to replace the old one in my 1998 Dodge Durango. It is a 4WD, V-8, 5.2 L, Automatic Transmission. Guy who repaired it took wheels off to set the Dodge Durango on cinder blocks while putting the replacement transmission in. He didn't do a good job. I had the Durango towed to my Father-in-laws house. They were suppose to have been home when it was being delivered but they didn't make it home on time. When they got home, they found the Durango sitting down low in the front like it a giant had took his foot and stomped on the front of it. The two front wheels were literally not straight but turned outward like back to the future car wheels were. The whole front end sits very low to the ground as well. We don't know who done what, whether it was the towing company or the guy who had put the transmission on when he had took the tires off. He claims he only had one tire off to put the transmission in anyway. But my question is, what will cause the wheels to do this? My Father-in-law but new shocks on thinking that was the cause but it didn't help solve anything and no one can see what is going on? Need help with this and would appreciate your expertise!
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 AT 9:16 AM

Replacing shock absorbers is a common mistake. They have nothing to do with suspension ride height. As proof, you can push a regular shock absorber to any position by hand and it will stay there. Even when you have a gas-charged shock absorber, those will extend by themselves, but you can still collapse them by hand. How is that going to hold up the 1500 pounds on one corner of the vehicle? Also, when you remove a shock absorber, the vehicle doesn't sag to the ground.

It's the springs that affect ride height. Not counting the fancy air springs, there are three types of springs. Leaf springs today are only used in the rear. Coil springs are most common, but a lot of Chrysler products used torsion bars for the front suspension. You're going to have to tell me which type you have. The big advantage to torsion bars is they're easily adjustable. As a suspension and alignment specialist, I know the correct ride height is critical for proper handling, braking balance, and steering control. I have a suspicion your mechanic adjusted the torsion bars down to remove them or to gain access to something. If this is the type of springs you have in the front, it's just a matter of adjusting them back up.

Every tire and alignment shop will have a small book that shows where to take the measurements on your vehicle and what they should be.
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 AT 9:01 PM