1998 Dodge Dakota Truck cranks but won't start

GEO83
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
My truck will not start it only cranks. It used to start when it wanted to but now it won't start at all. The battery, the starter motor and the fuel pump are new. I really am not sure what it could be. The ODB reader gives the code P0720 but not sure if it is a computer or electrical problem.
Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 6:00 PM

That code deals with the output speed sensor on the transmission. That shouldn't prevent it from starting.

Tell me this, will the engine start if you use starting fluid? Is the fuel pump pressure within the manufacturer's specs? Have you checked to make sure there is a good hot blue spark to the plugs?
Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 6:09 PM
GEO83
I got it started earlier today when I replaced the fuel pump relay. But after another attempt at starting it won't even crank. It sounded like the starter but that's brand new and when I try to tap it still nothing.
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 8:21 AM
So the starter is no longer turning the engine to start? Is it making any noise?
+1
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 8:34 AM
GEO83
You can hear when there is current being sent. Its not a click though, but nothing happens.
-1
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 8:38 AM
Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for voltage to the smaller wire on the starter. You should have 12v. If you do, replace the starter. If you don't, let me know.
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 8:52 AM
GEO83
Well I couldn't test the voltage to the smaller wire but I tried cleaning what I believe is the neutral switch on the transmission and after it started three times no problem. But after it went back to nothing.
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 2:45 PM
Have you tried to start it in neutral?
-1
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 6:54 PM
GEO83
Yes I did but there was no change.
Friday, August 29th, 2014 AT 5:34 AM