I HAVE A 1998 DODGE DAKOTA

• philipgatti
  • 1998 Dodge Dakota

I have a 1998 dodge dakota. V6 2wd. As your running down the road it just dies. If it starts to spudder stop the gas it will correct itself. The mechanic it is at right now has changed the distributor and ignition modular. Said he has it fixed twice. Make it a little ways down the road and it dies again. I got a call from him today. He said he gives up to come get it. Please help.

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 8:15 AM

• caradiodoc

If it starts up again after sitting a few minutes, you might suspect a plugged pickup screen inside the gas tank. It will be more likely to act up when you let up on the gas pedal to coast. You may find that by driving with a fuel pressure gauge attached that you can watch when the problem occurs.

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 8:35 AM
  • philipgatti

Where could I get a pressure gauge and how does it work "Where does it hook up". What should it read?

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 8:54 AM
  • caradiodoc

Ask at an auto parts store that rents or borrows tools. Many hardware stores sell them as do the guys who drive the tool trucks from shop to shop each week.

There's a test port on the fuel rail on the engine that looks like a metal tire valve. Run the hose under the rear edge of the hood and prop it up under the wiper arm so you can read it while you're driving. I have one on my '88 Grand Caravan right now tied to the radio antenna. I've been searching for an extremely intermittent problem for months.

You'll see what normal is when you're driving. With multiple injectors the typical fuel pressure is around 45 to 50 psi, but it will go up when you accelerate and it should go down when you're coasting. On my van, it tends to act up when I'm pulling a large tandem axle enclosed trailer that's bigger than the van. The pressure drops as low as 20 psi but the engine will still run with no noticeable stumbling. If I let off the gas a little, the pressure pops back up to normal. At 15 psi is when it finally stalls. Most engines won't still run with the pressure that low.

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 9:13 PM