1998 Dodge Caravan Noise

MASSOS
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan that started making a sound that almost sounds the same as the sound your bicycle made when you used clothspins to attach playing cards to your spokes when you were a kid. I brought to a mechanic and he said the sound is coming from the transmission and I need a new transmission. The car shifts perfectly and the transmission doesn't slip. I have been driving with the sound for about 2 weeks
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 1:42 AM

Have a trans shop check the vehicle's differential. There are gears that have a shaft that hold them together in there. They are known to come loose and eventually crack the trans housing. Keep in mind, that is a theory without checking it, and is based on your description and what the mechanic said.
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 4:44 PM
MASSOS
Thanks jacobandnickolas - I've noticed that it only makes the sound when you get up to about 25-30 miles an hour and then let up on the gas. If you just slightly push the gas down again the sound goes away until you take your foot back off. Does this still point to the differential. The mechanic said he put it up on a lift and brought it up to 35 miles and hour and he could hold his hand against the tranny and feel something "loose". Thanks again
Thursday, February 10th, 2011 AT 2:38 AM
The problem is the differential and the transmission housing are one thing. The differential is integral. Therefore, it would be hard for him to tell where the noise is coming from.

Please understand that it is hard for me since I'm not there. However, I feel it would be worth checking. If I'm wrong, the differential cover still needs to come off if the trans needs removed and repaired. All that will be lost is about 2 quarts of gear lube and a gasket + his labor if you have him replace the cover before repairs (if I'm wrong). Please understand, I can be wrong, but that is where I would start if the car was in my shop. I've seen many of them go bad. If the internals come apart, they could break the trans housing. Then, you'll get stuck buying a new transmission.
Thursday, February 10th, 2011 AT 3:15 AM