CHEVY FAN BELT

1998 Chevrolet Tracker

AaronCaf

October, 10, 2012 AT 11:34 AM

I have 1998 Chevy Tracker and 2 miles from home it started to overheat. I managed to get it home and opened the hood to see one of the belts was broken. It appears to be a belt that is connects the fan and alternator to some type of main area that gets the belt to spin. All the diagrams I have found on your page seems to show 1 belt in this engine but this 1998 Tracker has two belts. How do I get this new belt on?

Changing Drive Belt

October, 10, 2012 AT 11:39 AM

First, you need to address the issue as to why it broke. The water pump may have locked up or another accessorie.

Have it checked when you are done as you drove it overheated and may have damage the head gasket.

The front belt will have a tensioner that needs to be released to remove the belt.

AaronCaf

October, 10, 2012 AT 11:41 AM

It broke b/c of normal wear as far I can tell. I know I hadnt changed the belts in a long time.
I will get it checked once I get this belt fixed.
Can you tell me where the tensioner is? So im accurate in saying the belt that is still on needs to be removed to get the new belt on, right?

AaronCaf

October, 10, 2012 AT 7:22 PM

Any chance to reply to my question about the tensioner? Im not sure how to find this to make the other belt loose to get off and then slide the fan belt on.

Is it maybe here in the orange dots?

Thanks -- Aaron

October, 11, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

Hang on trying to get a picture

October, 11, 2012 AT 12:53 AM

POWER STEERING PUMP DRIVE BELT REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Loosen the power steering pump mounting bolts.
Pivot the power steering pump towards the engine in order to relieve the tension on the belt.
Remove the power steering pump drive belt (1) from the pulleys.

POWER STEERING PUMP DRIVE BELT INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Properly route and install the power steering pump drive belt (1) on the power steering pump and the crankshaft pulleys.
Adjust the power steering pump drive belt to obtain 6-9 mm (0.24-0.35 in) deflection with 10 kg (22 lbs (thumb pressure) of force applied.
NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to 30 Nm (22 ft. Lbs.).

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement