1998 CHEVY TRACKER FAN BELT

• AaronCaf
  • 1998 Chevrolet Tracker

I have 1998 Chevy Tracker and 2 miles from home it started to overheat. I managed to get it home and opened the hood to see one of the belts was broken. It appears to be a belt that is connects the fan and alternator to some type of main area that gets the belt to spin. All the diagrams I have found on your page seems to show 1 belt in this engine but this 1998 Tracker has two belts. How do I get this new belt on?

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 11:34 AM

• ASEMaster6371

First, you need to address the issue as to why it broke. The water pump may have locked up or another accessorie.

Have it checked when you are done as you drove it overheated and may have damage the head gasket.

The front belt will have a tensioner that needs to be released to remove the belt.

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 11:39 AM
  • AaronCaf

It broke b/c of normal wear as far I can tell. I know I hadnt changed the belts in a long time.
I will get it checked once I get this belt fixed.
Can you tell me where the tensioner is? So im accurate in saying the belt that is still on needs to be removed to get the new belt on, right?

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 11:41 AM
  • AaronCaf

Any chance to reply to my question about the tensioner? Im not sure how to find this to make the other belt loose to get off and then slide the fan belt on.

Is it maybe here in the orange dots?

Thanks -- Aaron

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 7:22 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Hang on trying to get a picture

Thursday, October 11th, 2012 AT 12:51 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

POWER STEERING PUMP DRIVE BELT REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Loosen the power steering pump mounting bolts.
Pivot the power steering pump towards the engine in order to relieve the tension on the belt.
Remove the power steering pump drive belt (1) from the pulleys.

POWER STEERING PUMP DRIVE BELT INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Properly route and install the power steering pump drive belt (1) on the power steering pump and the crankshaft pulleys.
Adjust the power steering pump drive belt to obtain 6-9 mm (0.24-0.35 in) deflection with 10 kg (22 lbs (thumb pressure) of force applied.
NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to 30 Nm (22 ft. Lbs.).

Thursday, October 11th, 2012 AT 12:53 AM