Won't start.

APEXHUNTER
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
We have replaced starter, battery, cables. Had starter tested (twice).
Motor started twice in driveway while bleeding brakes, but then when lowered if off jacks, it wouldn't start, only clicks. Charged new battery even though I didn't think it could be battery, nothing. Tested volts at battery 12.7. Not sure where to turn next or what to do.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

What's clicking? The starter relay, (light click) or starter solenoid, (loud clunk)? Can you measure the voltage on the two starter cables while a helper turns the ignition switch to "crank"? Holler back with those numbers.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 12:47 AM
APEXHUNTER
It's the solenoid. Will check voltage and report back.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 12:51 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Any word on this? Can you get it to turn over/start if you bypass the solenoid?
Monday, February 27th, 2012 AT 7:02 PM
APEXHUNTER
I put the starter back in, jumped the battery and after turning the key and hearing the solenoid click about 6 times and all of a sudden it started. I ran it for 20 minutes, shut it off and started it again. Did this 3 or 4 times and it starts. But, I still don't feel comfortable driving it anywhere because the problem was never resolved and may rear it's ugly head again necessitating a tow home. Again.
Monday, February 27th, 2012 AT 11:54 PM
This is typical of worn contacts inside the starter solenoid, but since the starter is new, I'd be more inclined to suspect a piece of debris was stuck in there from the rebuilding process.

Also, it is not unheard of for the coil of wire in the solenoid to warp and cause the core to stick. That typically happens more when it's hot, but as I recall, I don't think you'll hear the solenoid engage at all.
Tuesday, February 28th, 2012 AT 12:00 AM