Does this sound like my ignition switch or my ECM? I'm lost.

CHADEVERETTE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I replaced my ignition switch about 6 months ago because my truck was stalling, wouldn't crank, and I was losing gauges. That fixed the problem - until now.
About a week ago I noticed that my gear indicatior light wasn't coming on when I would shift from Park into Drive - that was odd. Then my check engine light came on about 3 days ago. Yesterday when I cranked the truck I had no RPM gauge, no gear indicator, and no speedometer. Not only that but my transmission is in 3rd gear as soon as I put it in drive ( which makes it REALLY hard to get up hill from a stop) I turned it off and cranked it back up and the problem went away. This morning, same problem. Only now it's starting to effect how smoothly the truck runs because the RPMs are at about 500 at idle and 3000 when driving on the highway.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:25 PM

Check for applicable trouble codes. To check codes yourself, at the least, you need an obd2 code reader, that will work with your year--make--model. Check the vehicle speed sensor? How long since a tune-up? Check all grounds. ECM, sensors, gauges, lights, etc. What you have is a serious intermittent electrical fault. It COULD be the ECM, but I'd wager you have a ground or three loose somewhere.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 5:28 PM