How to change spark plugs

GARYHEBB
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Change spark plugs 1998 Chevy Malibu
Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 2:50 AM

KEN

Here is a guide that will help you get the job done, though the rear plugs are a little tough but hang in there and you can get it done. Here is a guide that will help you get started.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-change-spark-plugs

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Turn the ignition key OFF.
Remove foreign material from around the spark plug holes.
Remove the spark plug using a spark plug socket.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Adjust the spark plug gap. Use a round wire type spark plug gap gauge. While gapping the plug be sure to keep the platinum pads aligned to ensure maximum plug life.
Install new plugs and tighten properly.
Reapply dielectric lubricant to the insulator boot.
Tighten
Tighten to 19 N.m (14 lb ft) .

Diagram (below)

"I have seen my mechanic roll the engine forward by undoing the strut engine mount and moving the car forward while the transmission is in park.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 10:09 PM
DALTON1
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
What's the easiest way to remove the spark plug right near the firewall?
-1
Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 10:10 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
I use a socket, a short extension and a ratchet with a swivel head and reach around.
MRLUCKY32
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
1998 malibu 2.4 liter. I changed spark plugs and drove it maybe 15miles, no problems. Then out of the blue it started skipping and now it I can hear a vaccum leak comeing from under the power steering pump but I can not find where it is comeing from. Anybody have any suggestions please thank you
-1
LENEX
You might want to check the intake manifold gasket
ROGBULKLEY7
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
1999 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

I need to change the spark plugs in my 3.1L malibu, but can not figure out how to access the plugs next to the firewall. Should I remove the coil pack to better access? Thank you for your help.
-1
Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 10:13 PM (Merged)
DALEJRFAN820002000
Yes you will have to take of the coil pack. I just got doing a head job on a 99 malibu and it was fun.
+1
ISUMMITT
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I have changed the front plugs and I can not reach the back ones
Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 10:15 PM (Merged)
FIXITMR
Youtube may have some vids. Most say they just reach around and remove by feel, not by sight.
DURPH
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
How to replace spark plugs on Malibu 3.1
WRENCHTECH
Twist and pull wires to remove them from plug. Insert spark plug socket and unscrew plug. Reverse directions to install.
GALLETA
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
1999 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic

I am trying to replace the spark plugs and wires in my car and I think I switched the wires. Can you please tell me how to get the wires in the right position because I do not have an owner's manual. Thank you in advance.
Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 10:16 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_malibu_2.jpg

-1
BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_malibu_3.jpg

VEROG626
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • 185 MILES
Hi my malibu has been shaking a little when I come to a stop my dad is going to change spark plugs and the wites because he think this may fix this problem. But lately my car drives good but when goin up a big hill I notice it struggles and when I got home yesterday something smelt burnt but nothing was leaking I checked my oil and water it was good oil levels a lil high but idont know what the problem can be.
Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019 AT 10:46 AM (Merged)
Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge. Auto parts rent gauge.41-47 psi key on only
MALIBU99
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • 110 MILES
Hi. I drive a 98 Chevy Malibu V6 3.1 automatic and lately I've noticed the car will decelerate hard when I let off of the gas (and no I'm not pressing the brake). This will even happen as I am going downhill. Also, when letting off the gas to coast, (around 35-50mph) the car shakes. The steering wheel goes side to side (similar to a video game controller shake for a racing game). If I apply the brakes, the shaking stops and no, I'm not pulled to either side of the road. Supposidly, the brakes are ok and I just had the following items fixed: air filter element, fuel filter, spark plug wire set, spark plugs, PCV, battery terminals cleaned, and a new starter motor. The listed items are from a random problem that was a bigger issue. The car would not start, didn't matter with a hot or cold engine. So I'd bring it to the shop and 20x's in a row, it would start for the mechanics. Ghost in the machine! I've read that this problem was mainly attributed to an anti-theft ignition switch thing but; unlike others, the anti-theft light never went on. So far, the car is starting properly. However, I am now very concerned about this shaking and very rapid deceration (like 40 to 20 within one city block, coasting)Its wierd and I would really appreciate some help with a good deduction. Thank you!Oh, and I suppose that I should mention that the entire fuel system has been replaced within the last 2 years. (I think it was a flood car)Thanks again!
Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019 AT 10:47 AM (Merged)
GMTECH
Quite possibly the torque convertor lock up solenoid is sticking. If it stays on it can cause rapid deceleration and cause the performance issues you describe. A qualified shop should be able to easily diagnose it. There could even be a code, but monitoring it with a scan tool will tell you for sure. Not an expensive part but requires removal of side pan of transmission
ASEMASTER6371
To add to GM, make sure the brakes are not partially applied from a bad caliper or brake hose. Put it in neutral and see if it still slows down quickly. If it does, it is brake related, if it does not then the trans is the issue as gmtech said.

BETHANN
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
When I start my engine it runs 30 seconds then shuts off.I start it back up it is fine. Ocassionally need to give a little gas when starting to keep it running. It does this about every 6 start ups. I had a tune up which consist of spark plugs and spark plug wires 20000 miles ago ( 2 years ago). Had the Ignition Cylinder re-placed at the beginning of July, about 2 weeks after this problem started occurring. No dummy lights are on in the dash.