1998 Chevy Malibu

HILARY
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Just had my husband put in a new crankshaft pulley along with a new belt. HELP, my check engine light came on. Code read P0336? Is it my sensor? Maybe, tension no good? Where is my crankshaft sensor located? I need to get my car smogged within a week? PLEASE?
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 5:11 AM

FIXITMR
What MOTOR is in it?
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 5:21 AM
FIXITMR
The PCM uses a signal from the ignition control module in order to calculate the engine RPM and the crankshaft position at engine speeds below 1200 RPM. The PCM also uses the pulses on this circuit in order to initiate the injector pulses. If the PCM receives no pulses on this circuit, DTC P0336 will set. The PCM will use the 3X reference signal circuit at all times for fuel control and for ignition control. The engine will continue to start and will run using only the 3X reference signal.
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 5:44 AM
FIXITMR
And why was a new pulley put on?
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 5:57 AM
HILARY
6 cylinder. It all started with bad water pump, replaced that. Didnt replace bad belt, though. So, Backing out one morning, my belt broke car died out, Check engine light went on. My husband bought a belt, replaced it. He thought that pulley looked bad(unbalanced as it rotated)? Should we not have done that? PCM? Are you saying dont mess with a new crankshaft sensor?
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 6:23 AM
FIXITMR
No, it is located behind pulley which is called the harmonic balancer which you replaced.
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 8:32 AM
HILARY
YES that is what he changed( thank you) The Harmonic Balancer. Are you saying the sensor is located behind the balancer that we changed? Is that what you are saying? Also, where is my thermostat located? P.S. THANK YOU for responding to me.
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 4:59 AM
FIXITMR
Yes, the sensor is behind the pulley. Follow your top radiator hose to intake on engine. The thermostat is under the housing the hose goes to.
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 5:52 PM