My temp gauge isn't working properly

TJSK8BOARDZ
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

I've tried replacing a coolant temp sensor but it still isn't working, I only get a reading within the first quarter on my gauge but hardly anything higher than that. Any ideas?

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:31 PM

-Test the thermostat-start here and then let me know

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:41 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Already replaced that too, forgot to mention it earlier

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

Check the CTS wiring back to the computer for open/short circuit

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:50 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Ok now where is the computer located? How can I test it?

-1
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

And if theres no short or open circuit what else can you suggest?

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM

What liter engine?

No short or open in the CTS circuit-could be the computer or the Cluster itself

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 9:08 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Its the z24, 2.4l twin cam engine. I have a new connector plug for the themp sensor incase if the needed to be replaced but I haven't gotten around to changing it yet and I wanted some advice before I went and did it anyway

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 9:30 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

I completely forgot to mention that my car has a manual override switch for the rad cooling fan, I guess the fan wasn't turning on by itself so someone put it in, now I was wondering if the way they wired it would affect the temp gauge? They bypassed
everything the way they wired it in, they ran a wire from the switch to a random relay outside of the fuse box, then from that relay to the fuse box and from there they wired it to the cooling fan relay and fuse. Which I don't think makes any sense at all, but would that have an affect on my problem?

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 1:27 AM

Check if the cooling fan is turning the right way

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 10:21 AM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Ok, is it supposed to turn clockwise or counter clockwise looking in the engine compartment?

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 1:48 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

It turns counter clockwise looking at it from the engine compartment, is that the right way?

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 7:58 PM

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Ok, now one of myu friends made a good point to me earlier today, he said that maybe the radiator in the car wasn't made for it, would that be a possibility?

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 10:10 PM

If the radiator is been there before the temperature gauge problem I don't think its the problem-check the wiring of the CTS and the Cluster

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 9:25 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Thats what I don't know, I don't know if the radiator went before I bought the car and they put the wrong type in so they put that switch in instead of trying to figure out why the gauge wasn't working. I was wondering if the radiator I have is the wrong one, cause I believe its supposed to have a drain plug, I've looked for it before and couldn't find it anywhere.

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 9:50 PM

Replacing the radiator with wrong one has nothing to do with the gauge. Check/test the coolant temperature sensor and its wiring back to the computer and give me some testing results-

Saturday, August 18th, 2012 AT 6:33 AM
TJSK8BOARDZ

Where is my computer located? I can't seem to find it, and I know that replacing the rad with a wrong one wouldn't affect my temp gauge, I was thinking maybe it would affect the rad fan, maybe the reason why they put that fan switch in was because they didn't want to put in the right rad, is that possible? Cause I know there should be a sensor in the rad that works the rad fan and another sensor in the engine that works the temp gauge. If the rad I have isn't compatible with my car then wouldn't that explain a few things? Such as, I don't have a drain plug on it, the fan doesn't work on its own and why they put that switch in?

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 10:27 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Behind the front fascia on the impact bar. See picture.

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 12:49 AM