My temp gauge isn't working properly

TJSK8BOARDZ
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I've tried replacing a coolant temp sensor but it still isn't working, I only get a reading within the first quarter on my gauge but hardly anything higher than that. I completely forgot to mention that my car has a manual override switch for the rad cooling fan, I guess the fan wasn't turning on by itself so someone put it in, now I was wondering if the way they wired it would affect the temp gauge? They bypassed everything the way they wired it in, they ran a wire from the switch to a random relay outside of the fuse box, then from that relay to the fuse box and from there they wired it to the cooling fan relay and fuse. Which I don't think makes any sense at all, but would that have an affect on my problem? Any ideas?
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:31 PM

-Test the thermostat-start here and then let me know
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:41 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ
Already replaced that too, forgot to mention it earlier could it be the gauge?
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:46 PM
The fact that the gauge works but not correctly and you have already replaced the sensor it only leaves the gauge which is a common problem. I would replace the cluster with a used unit to see what happens.
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 8:50 PM
TJSK8BOARDZ
Yes good call, I changed out the cluster now everything works great! Costs me $120.00 thanks I Iove this site.
-1
Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers
Saturday, August 18th, 2012 AT 6:33 AM