STALLS WHEN PUT IN GEAR

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Evelride

April, 10, 2011 AT 9:36 PM

When starting my car I have to turn the key ahead a notch, listen for the pump then turn key all the way, I then have to let it warm up before I can put it in gear even this doesn't work all the time. When I just turn the key and put the car in gear it floods when I give it some gas, sometimes if I ease off the gas it will recover but it usually stalls, what could this be?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Wrenchtech

April, 10, 2011 AT 9:53 PM

Is your check engine coming on at all?

Evelride

April, 10, 2011 AT 9:58 PM

Yes check engine light is usually on

Wrenchtech

April, 10, 2011 AT 10:00 PM

The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.

Evelride

April, 10, 2011 AT 10:03 PM

Thanks for the help