Hard to start then wont start

DNOHO
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
98 Chevy cavalier suddenly became harder and harder to start. Then while driving and came to stop sign dies, restart and after sitting overnight will not start. Tried to replace fuel filter and had an unusual connection, all replacement articles say connection is suppose to be plastic but mine seems to be metal. Cant find any information on how to remove.
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 8:32 PM

Wear safety glasses, try to clean all that crap off the fittings, the best you can. Info below. Don't take any fittings loose, unless your sure there is no pressure on the system.
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 8:45 PM
DNOHO
As you can see by my picture there arent any plastic tabs anywhere, I cleaned and inspected the connection all around and it is ALL metal.
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
The info is what the database showed? Can you push in on the connector? That picture sure does look rusty.
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 9:26 PM
I looked at two different databases, showed the same thing. Maybe it isn't a tab that you grab, maybe it is a collar?
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
DNOHO
Checked out a J body forum and there is some kind of palstic ring tool that is placed around the nipple of the filter and you push that in to onlock tabs that are inside the collar of the factory line. Did the database say anything like that?
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 9:56 PM
No, the database didn't say anything about using a tool. The databases are not always correct.

There is a duck-bill GM fitting. You use a tool around the line, slide tool down the line into front of fitting, push until connector is released then pull line apart. Your local auto store should have this tool. Agian, make sure there is no pressure on the system.
Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 3:05 PM
DNOHO
Thanks for the reply, went and got a tool but there is not enough room to get it in. Reading further suggests hacksawing the nipple on the old filter and then using the tool.
As for depressurizing the system. Everything read says to pull the fuel pump relay and let the engine die. I have the problem where the car wont start to begin with. Is there an alternative way to accomplish this?
Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM
Use a rag around the schrader valve, where applicable, press the schrader valve.

The supply line from tank to filter, is it short? Can you disconnect from tank. If so replace line with filter. Check for the part first. I don't like the idea of doing anything that might create a spark.
Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 4:23 PM
DNOHO
I have looked all over for a shrader valve and there isnt one, even took off all the covers ontop of the engine so I coud look along the fuel rail. I was going to do a fuel pump pressure check first before changing the filter. Seems this car isnt very service friendly all around.
Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 10:28 PM
Use a shop rag around fitting, slowly loosen the supply line at the fuel rail. What's the litre size of engine?

Man those fuel lines look rusty.
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
DNOHO
It is a 2.2L. While waiting I tried a compression test only to find water in #3 cylinder. Looks like I found the problem. Head gasket. Thank you for your help
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 3:16 AM
Yeah, that doesn't sound good. I didn't realize the engine wouldn't crank? Good job finding it.

Good luck with the fuel filter.
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 2:34 PM