WHY DOES MY CAR DIE WHEN THE ETS OFF LIGHT COMES...

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Pnorman

December, 24, 2012 AT 6:11 PM

Why does my car die when the ETS Off light comes on?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

saturntech9

December, 24, 2012 AT 6:14 PM

I don't know first thing I would do is have the computers scanned for codes and let me know the exact code numbers you have.

Pnorman

December, 24, 2012 AT 8:48 PM

The code reads cranshaft sensor but I replaced it twice didn't fix the problem

thanks

saturntech9

December, 24, 2012 AT 9:16 PM

Alright what is the exact code number you have not code descriptions?

Pnorman

December, 24, 2012 AT 9:28 PM

Sorry didn't keep it Auto Zone did the reading

saturntech9

December, 24, 2012 AT 9:41 PM

I really need the exact code numbers so I can look up the trouble trees for you and help you figure this out.

Pnorman

December, 24, 2012 AT 9:57 PM

Ok but thanks any way

saturntech9

December, 24, 2012 AT 10:17 PM

I am here to help I would need those codes even if I was there working on the car. The first thing I would do is get my scan tool and see what codes you have.

Pnorman

December, 24, 2012 AT 10:25 PM

I dont have a scan tool I've had it in 3 different shops and they can't figure it out I have replaced the fuel pump and filter the cam and crankshaft sensors the airflow sensor and the ICM board fuel relay tuned it up. THe car runs and drives great for a couple of days then the ETS Off light comes on then the check engine light and then it acts like it's running out of gas and dies, Sometimes it starts right back other times it takes maybe an hour before it starts back.

saturntech9

December, 24, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

So why can't you go back to auto zone to get the codes read and write them down?That would be a great starting point the codes would tell us what system/circuit is failing when it happens since the light comes on when it acts up. Otherwise one could only guess whats failing and a lot more checking when its failing with a possible on hr window to do it all. So do you loose spark when I won't start?You can get a basic code reader for 20 and on that reads some live engine data for about 54 on amazon.

Pnorman

December, 24, 2012 AT 10:39 PM

Well the car is in the shop and I can't get it back before Wednesday