Brakes lock up

DANRACE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Have a 1998 Chevy Cavalier. Right rear wheel locks up. When I first drive the car in the morning or after work the brakes are sensitive at first and need 2 give myself enough stopping room and if I dont the right rear wheel will lock up. Also when I do apply the brake the right rear end dips down more on the that right side that locks up I take the freeway home and after I get off freeway the brakes are fine. I sanded the brake pads and sprayed some graphite spray on them and that remedied the problem 4 a little while but came back. Any suggestions? Thanks Dan
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 12:02 AM

WRENCHTECH
I see this a lot on small GMs. What is happening is you have a small leak from the wheel cylinder and the black brake dust is getting moist and embedding into the brake shoe. The only way your going to cure this is a complete brake job on the rear to include shoes, wheel cylinders and very important, resurface the brake drums. That will solve your problem.
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 12:15 AM
DANRACE
Thanks brakes are fine now!
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 7:17 AM
WRENCHTECH
Glad to hear you got it resolved.
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 10:24 AM