Digital Dash went black is there a reset procedure

DLYNCH4008
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
This is a church friends car, so I do not know all the specific details, but here is what I know. Car sat for a long time and battery drained completely flat. When she got started again, the digital dash has no display. All of the warning lamps pass the self test when the ignition is turned on, but there is no speed, HVAC, or information center data displayed. The dash fuse 10A under the hood is good. I checked all of the fuses under hood on left wheel well with DVOM and all are working as they should.
Is there some reset sequence I can do, with the panel buttons, to bring the dash back to life? Is there a specific fuse I should look for in the trunk? I do not recall the owners manual indicating a panel in the trunk?
Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 3:13 PM

KEN
There are three fuses that run the system and they are all in the trunk fuse center. Here is a guide and some wiring and fuse panel diagrams to help you test the fuses and get it working again.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

If everything checks out try unplugging the cluster and plug it back in this will clean the connections at the cluster.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, October 20th, 2017 AT 3:43 PM
SHEVAN01
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
1998 Cadillac Deville V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

The instrument cluster is bad on my car. I went to the junk yard and got a new one. However now the car will not start. It keeps telling me to wait 3 minutes and try again.
-1
Friday, October 20th, 2017 AT 8:49 PM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK
The cluster needs to be programmed, and learned to the theft system.
+1
BACK2CHARRIS
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
1998 Cadillac Deville 92000 miles

We had a bad instrument panal. All black, you could not see the gas gauge, mph, nothing. We got one from a salvage yard, the exact one. Put it in and it lights up perfectly, but the car will not start. Does it need programed or something to the new panal? Is it something we can do or is it something only Cadillac can do? Could really use help with the instructions. Thanks, Carol
+1
MERLIN2021
I'm Sure Buzz will chime in here, but on GM trucks, we turn the key on for 10 minutes then off, remove key and then it should go. This initializes the newer stuff.