1997 Toyota Landcruiser Scanning devices[Mechanical]

GEORGE ALE
  • 1997 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER
  • TURBO
I just want to know if there is training at your end on how to use those scanning devices. This is to show how to identify a problem with my car using the scanning devices.
Sunday, July 20th, 2014 AT 5:28 PM

The basic part is pretty much self-explanatory. You just follow the choices on the various menus. You can turn relays on and off and command the computers to do things, and you can view the live data the computers are acting on. Where it gets more involved is in interpreting the sensor readings when you're trying to diagnose a problem. That is related to training in engine performance diagnostics, not in operating the scanner.

If you buy a new scanner, it will come with a book of instructions on how to run it, but not necessarily on how to interpret the sensor readings. You can use Chrysler's DRB3 on your vehicle but only for emissions-related stuff. A lot of independent shops bought them because they can be used on any brand of car sold in the U.S. After 1995. There's a large pamphlet on how to run it but we never needed that. The Genysis is another popular one that will access all of the computers on most car models. If I remember right, the Toyota dealers used the Tech2. You'll be able to find a bunch of all of these on eBay.

If you get a scanner and you can't figure it out, start by visiting the Auto Shop at a nearby community college. Most instructors will find a time when they can sit down next to a car and show you what to do. You can come back here too, but I'm only familiar with the Chrysler DRB2 and DRB3.

There are a few online companies which provide information/training on scan tool use in the diagnosing of automotive problems. So yes, there is training.
Is there a specific reason you're asking this, i.E, to fix a certain problem on your vehicle?
Sunday, July 20th, 2014 AT 7:29 PM