Can you help me locate and access 4 internal ports downline from EGR valve that may have carbon buildup

YESWEDELIVER
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have been trying to clear a PO401 Code EGR system. I have replaced EGR vacuum modulator valve +EGR valve + MAP sensor. I havd no reason to believe the PCM is bad. This is a 4 cyl engine. I expect to check vsv next, but am convinced this is not the issue either.

After talking to experienced mechanics, I am led to seek something deeper in to the engine. For example, the EGR Large Port Intake - it is suggested - feeds a stream to 4 smaller inlets/ports - one for each cyl - these are not visible or simple to get to and these smaller ports most likely have carbon buildup which is constricting the flow, I am told. I accept this notion and would be ever so thankful if you could tell me where these are on my engine - and how to get to them. Any links to exploded, labeled diagrams would be very instructive. I do have the Haynes Manual for the model.

Thank you again for your help,
jerry
Thursday, October 20th, 2011 AT 1:59 AM

About the only ting you can do is to take the egr tube off and run a wireinto the cyl head. Or take the exasut manifold off and see if you can see any holes there and clean that area up. We only hve a blow up of a complete cylhead assy and it doesn't show any egr holes other than the pipe and valve. The answers are late due to our site being down for the past week.
Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 12:50 AM