WHEN TRYING TO START THE CAR IT WILL NOT START ...

1997 Nissan Maxima

Anonymous

February, 16, 2013 AT 3:18 AM

When trying to start the car it will not start until the check engine light flashes and the fuel pump engages ( because I can hear it switch on ). Then it will start. Once you are driving it, the car will shut down and refuse to start until that check engine light flashes and I can hear the furl pump again. It will do this over and over. I'm thinking there is a bad connection somewhere, perhaps the security system since it sounds like the fuel pump is being cut off causing the car to stall. The ignition key was so worn out I had a new one cut, but I am still thinking it's in the ignition. There are no other problems with the car. In fact it runs like a bat out of hell once it's going. Any ideas, suggestions? I was told by someone that this happens to Nissans of the past a lot, but I can't find any message boards with this specific problem. I don't want to blow money on a new ignition if it's not the issue? Any help I'd appreciate.

February, 16, 2013 AT 5:45 AM

I would suggest starting with testing the relays. It could be a faulty relay or even the engine computer.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement