1997 NISSAN MAXIMA STALLING PROBLEM

• thepenguinbeing
  • 1997 Nissan Maxima

Hi there!

I've been driving my maxima for over a year now. It has 201000 miles on it!
I just had the battery replaced last week, but now i'm facing a bigger problem. If I start my car it goes to about 1k rpms. When I pop it into gear, the rpms drop, and the car stalls.
ive found that if I start the car and let it run till the engine warms up, it runs ok. If I pop it into gear, the rpms drop to about 500, but the car runs.
tonight I ran into a big obstacle. I started my car, let the engine warm up, but not as much as I usually do. I got halfway down the road, the car was completely warmed up and running fine. I put my foot on the accelerator, but the car wouldnt accelerate, so I slowed down, the rmps dropped, the car stalled and I coasted to the side of the road.
I tried to start the car again, the rpms went up to 1k, but then rapidly fell untill the car stalled again. I repeated this process over and over, but to no avail, the car kept stalling! I even tried to trick my car by starting it up and pressing on the accelerator to boost the rpms, but they wouldnt go up.
Eventually I started it, pumped the accelorator untill they were at 2k rpms, then maintained theser rpms with my foot on the gas. I popped the car into drive, then quickly pressed the gas before it could stall, and got back on the road. About 5 mins down the road my car started acting normally again, and I made it home.
Im kindof panicking because I rely on my car to get to work, have no other transportation, and need my car until I can save up enough to buy a new one.
What could this possibly be? Alternator? Some kind of sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you very much
Ben

Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 10:14 PM

• hmac300

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure first

Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 7:11 AM