97 mitsab Eclipse electrical problem

GAFITTS
  • 1997 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
When I insert the key and turn it to on the hazard lights and interior lights flash for about 20 seconds then go out. After this the turn signal lights dont work

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 2:57 AM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
There are a few possibilities;

First, let me clarify about which interior lights come on. Is it the dash lights or the interior dome and/or map lights, etc?

The flasher relay could be bad. But that leaves the question of how the interior dome light is flashing.

If it is the dome light, I would think that the alarm system or automatic entry system has an issue.
The interior light/security relay could be part of the issue.

There is also a PCU that controls the remote lock/lights and alarm. It could be faulty.

The easiest step to take next, (and to not spend any money except for about 15 or so minutes of labor), is to have the OBD, (On Board Diagnostic), codes checked for trouble codes.

Is there an aftermarket alarm system on the car?
If so, this might complicate the OBD reading or make it useless in finding the source of the problem.

Are there any issues with the flashers or dome lights otherwise?
Do the dash lights come on and go off as they should?

Let me know if this helps and if I can be of any further assistance.
Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 3:58 AM
GAFITTS
The dome, dash and hazards come on for about 20 seconds then it quits followed by the turn signals not working. Their is no after market alarm I took the car in to read the falt codes and there were none. Also there is no remote entry. Where on the car is the PCU?
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 5:00 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
The PCU for the alarm system is under the hood, I think. I can get a better answer for you on that if need be. However, if the dealer did not get an error code, I would think the PCU is okay.
It still sounds relay related. Check into replacing the turn signal relay. If you need to know where the realy is I think it is behind glove box. If your owners' maual does not say where it is, let me know and I will find out.
Also, see if there is a relay for the alarm system itself.
I will research this more in the mean time. Let me know how it goes.
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 9:51 PM