WHY WONT AC, WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHTS, WINDSHIELD WIPERS, RADIO AND CLOCK NOT WORK WHEN CAR IS TURNED ON?

• Noe_M
  • 1997 Lincoln Town Car

One night when car was started a fuff of smoke came out from below the steering column. Thought I blew a fuse but that's not the case. The components DO however work when the car is turned OFF and/or ignition is turned back to ACC position.

Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 8:56 PM

• mhpautos

Where there is smoke there's a problem, you must get into the loom under the column and inspect for damage, do this first and report back what you find.

Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 10:44 PM
  • Noe_M

Exposed the entire area above and below the column including the metal harness above the fuse box and to my suprise did not smell or see evidence of a bare, broken or fryed wire. I did however find a detached/broken connector that is suppose to be attached to the the key ingnition. The wire is black with a pink stripe and when I tested it with a multimeter registered 12 plus volts. I manualy held it back in place to see if it was the culprit but did not work.

Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 12:55 AM
  • Noe_M

Update: decided to go the "process of elimination" route. I was convinced the problem was either the ingition key or the ingition switch. So I bought both and replaced them one at a time to see if either was the problem. Neither fixed the problem (returned the parts for a refund), so because of the spark/smoke I was convinced the problem was a bad wire. I pulled out the multi meter again and started rechecking each fuse and wire leading from the ignition switch to the fuse panel. I then decided to check and replace the relays under the dash, it was when I checked the high current fuses under the hood that I cursed myself! A 50 amp (large) fuse marked IG (ignition) was blown. After relacing it I had to go out for a spin and celabrate!
Lesson Learned.

Monday, September 5th, 2011 AT 9:01 PM
  • rivermikerat

Those are called Maxi-Fuses. Thanks for letting us know you've gotten the problem fixed.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM