WHY WONT AC, WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHTS, WINDSHIELD WIPERS, RADIO AND CLOCK NOT WORK WHEN CAR IS TURNED ON?

1997 Lincoln Town Car

Noe_M

September, 1, 2011 AT 8:56 PM

One night when car was started a fuff of smoke came out from below the steering column. Thought I blew a fuse but that's not the case. The components DO however work when the car is turned OFF and/or ignition is turned back to ACC position.

mhpautos

September, 1, 2011 AT 10:44 PM

Where there is smoke there's a problem, you must get into the loom under the column and inspect for damage, do this first and report back what you find.

Noe_M

September, 2, 2011 AT 12:55 AM

Exposed the entire area above and below the column including the metal harness above the fuse box and to my suprise did not smell or see evidence of a bare, broken or fryed wire. I did however find a detached/broken connector that is suppose to be attached to the the key ingnition. The wire is black with a pink stripe and when I tested it with a multimeter registered 12 plus volts. I manualy held it back in place to see if it was the culprit but did not work.

Noe_M

September, 5, 2011 AT 9:01 PM

Update: decided to go the "process of elimination" route. I was convinced the problem was either the ingition key or the ingition switch. So I bought both and replaced them one at a time to see if either was the problem. Neither fixed the problem (returned the parts for a refund), so because of the spark/smoke I was convinced the problem was a bad wire. I pulled out the multi meter again and started rechecking each fuse and wire leading from the ignition switch to the fuse panel. I then decided to check and replace the relays under the dash, it was when I checked the high current fuses under the hood that I cursed myself! A 50 amp (large) fuse marked IG (ignition) was blown. After relacing it I had to go out for a spin and celabrate!
Lesson Learned.

rivermikerat

September, 29, 2011 AT 8:43 PM

Those are called Maxi-Fuses. Thanks for letting us know you've gotten the problem fixed.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang