1997 SPORTAGE 4 CYL MANUL

• kelly2u
  • 1997 Kia Sportage

1997 sportage 4 cyl manul. No brake lights. Brake light switch replaced, brake bulbs ok, power to the swith , tested the bulb socket for groundand it was fine. The high brake light works. Q I tested the two red wires in the brake light switch and one tested 12V the other small red tested lower. What should I try now?

Monday, November 19th, 2012 AT 8:25 PM

• KHLow2008

If you have power to the bulb, try grounding the other wire. How did you check the bulbs?

Monday, November 19th, 2012 AT 8:54 PM
  • kelly2u

I do not have power to the bulb just the switch. I tested the bulb socket to the frame to check ground, the socket is grounded. I tested the bulb for continuity on the 2 filaments. And its fine

Monday, November 19th, 2012 AT 8:59 PM
  • KHLow2008

High mount and rear stop lights are on the same circuit so if the high mount is working, problem should be at rear. Test the bulb socket Orange wire for battery voltage when brake switch is turned on.

Monday, November 19th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
  • kelly2u

Will need help. Will try it when I get some, I cant see all the sockets going bad at the same time that would 4 of them.

Monday, November 19th, 2012 AT 9:07 PM
  • KHLow2008

You can unplug the brake switch wire and use a jumper across or use something to hold the brake pedal to activate the switch.

Monday, November 19th, 2012 AT 9:09 PM