Can anyone tell me why my Jeep wont start

RICKS97
  • 1997 JEEP WRANGLER
I have 1997 jeep wrangler, wont start, turn key and everything lights up and stays on when key turned to start position but nothing happens no click no lights dimming just nothing. I disconnected safety switch on clutch and jumped but still nothing. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:15 AM

PROMECHANIC
The first thing we need to determine is the voltage on your battery. Do you have a voltmeter?
The battery might be fine but we need to verify it to be sure.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:19 AM
RICKS97
12 volts at battery and no draw down on lights or gauges when key turned to start position
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:49 AM
PROMECHANIC
Your battery needs to be charged. If it is at 12 volts then it is fully discharged. Even though the lights still turn on the battery is dead.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:54 AM
RICKS97
Just checking to see if my reply came through. Battery tested 12 volts
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:58 AM
RICKS97
Ok I will jump tomorrow but I thought it would still try to turn over and cause lights and gauges to dim but its like all is fully charged but when key is turned to start positon nothing dims and gauges dont drop but there is no click or starter trying to turn over so hopefully a jump will shed light on the problem and thanks for the help greatly appreciated thanks again
+1
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 4:08 AM
PROMECHANIC
The battery needs to be at least 12.65 volts. Sometimes they still work when they are less, but a battery is considered fully discharged at 12 volts.
It is likely that this is not the only problem, but it is probably contributing to the problem.
+1
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 4:13 AM
HAVE YOU ATTEMPTED TO JUMP IT OFF, WITH ANOTHER RIG?

Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 4:48 AM
RICKS97
I would agree with the battery being dead even though lights work but wouldnt there be something. The starter at least trying to turn engine but I have nothing not even a click. When my car did this it was the crank sensor but I know nothing about jeeps so just a guess.
+1
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 5:56 PM
RICKS97
I just realized my last post was a repeat. Sorry head in the clouds today. I will try a jump and see what happens.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 6:03 PM
AND.........STILL NO STRAIGHT FORWARD ANSWER TO MY QUESTION?????????!!!!

OK LOOKY HERE, I DO THIS AS A HOBBY, SO REALLY I'M GAINING NOTHING HERE...'CEPT SEEING THE SMILE IN YOUR TEXT, WHEN YOU AND I HAVE DONE GOOD!

OK ALL KINDS OF SYSTEMS IN YOUR JEEP

FROM THE LOOKS OF WHAT I HAVE SEEN, YOUR STARTER WILL NOT TURN OVER...ONLY A FEW THINGS MIGHT CAUSE THIS

ON OF WHICH.......IS NOT CHANGING YOUR LEFT FRONT TIRE!....NOR IS MESSING WITH ENGINE/ IGNITION COMPONENTS!

IMMA CJ JEEP KINDA GUY...II DON'T KNOW THE MODERN STUFF REAL GREAT

BASICALLY THE SYSTEMS ARE THE SAME....JUST CYBER SWITCHES AND CRAP HAVE BEEN SPLICED INTO THE LINES!

NOW, THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM YOU MAY HAVE IS A BAD CONNECTION...IT COULD BE ANYWHERE BETWEEN THE BATTERY AND THE STARTER OR ENGINE GROUND

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN---ANY CONNECTION OF ANY KIND, THAT THE BATTERY POS AND NEG CABLES TOUCH, ALL THE WAY TO THE STARTER (AND AT THE STARTER) MUST BE LOOSENED/ CLEANED/ SCOOCHED AROUND (NEW ONE HUH?!)/ AND TIGHTENED BACK DOWN GOOD

THIS WILL INCLUDE THE "SQUEEZER" CONNECTIONS AT THE BATTERY CLAMP WHERE IT JOINS THE BATTERY CABLES (IF YOUR CLAMPS ARE LIKE THAT, SOME ARE MOLDED CONNECTIONS) ALL THE BIG CABLES!!!!!START TO FINISH!!!

CHECK YOU KEY AS YOU GO, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY THE BAD CONNECTION

NO DARN CHEATING!...I CANNOT SAVE YOU $$$ IF YOU DON'T DO THIS STUFF, YOU WILL BE VERY UNHAPPY WITH A $300 BILL, BECAUSE YOUR STARTER CONNECTION WAS LOOSE!....'COURSE THEY'LL PROBABLY MENTION OTHER STUFF, JUST TO MAKE THEIR BILL LOOK LEGIT!...PASS NOTHING OFF, AS "IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME!"

AFTER YOU GO THRU THIS...WITH NO GOOD RESULTS, I WILL MOVE YOU ON, INTO TESTING SOME OTHER STUFF TOO....ALL IN A SEQUENCE, ALL DESIGNED SO THAT I DON'T WRITE A BOOK, AND YOU DON'T GET BORED AND NOT READ IT. AND WE ATTACK THIS IN A UNIFORM MANNER. NOT JUMPING AROUND, AND NOT SLINGING OUT UNNECESSARY PARTS......COPE-ISH??

SEND ME SOME RESULTS!

READ THIS TOO,

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-focus-power-steering

LOOK THRU THE CJ 5 & 7 FORUMS, YOU WILL SEE THE EXTENT I WILL GO, IF COOPERATION SETS IN!

YES, I GO OUT OF MY WAY FOR "REAL JEEP PEOPLE"....NOT AS MUCH FOR THE STATION WAGON JEEP GUYS....SO DON'T LET ME DOWN HERE! I WILL DO THE BEST I CAN...I EXPECT THE SAME FROM YOU....

NOT SO GOOD RESULTS THUS FAR????.....PURCHASE A CHEAP DIGITAL VOLTMETER.....AUTO PARTS STORE....$5-$20...LET ME KNOW YOU ARE READY TO CONTINUE

YOUR TURN

+1
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 6:31 PM
RICKS97
Tried a jump and no go. I had meter on wrong range last night and after setting right I bhad 12.35 volts. So im back to square one.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 7:03 PM
RICKS97
I just got your post and ment no disrespect. I've been in and out and a little behind on posts. Not looking for easy way just the way. I appreciate all the help and am going through the complete process and will keep you posted and hope I dont frustrate you any further. Thanks again for the help.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 7:37 PM
I'M GOOD WITH ALL OF THIS, YOU JUST TRY HARD, AND TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY. MY JEEPS ARE BOTH ROADWORTHY! AND ALSO UN-ROADWORTHY. ALWAYS REMEMBER, "JEEP WROTE THE BOOK ON FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!"

NOT FRUSTRATED WITH YOU, JUST SORTA ESTABLISHING A "I CAN HELP YOU--HELP YOURSELF RELATIONSHIP".I HAVE GAINED SOME "JEEP PALS" HERE.

I JUST NEED YOU TO TO YOUR PART TO THE BEST OF YOUR (AND YOUR PAL'S) ABILITIES, CONVEY INFO CORRECTLY (IF YOU GET LOST, I'LL STOP AND EXPLAIN)

USUALLY/ UNFORTUNATELY, WE GET "WHAT IFed?" TO DEATH HERE, AND TESTING DOES NOT GET PERFORMED WELL

THEN, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY MONITOR. WE GET TURNED INTO THE BAD GUYS AT TIMES, BECAUSE WE DID NOT PERFORM A MIRACLE!

THE ONLY TIME YOUR JEEP HOOD SHOULD BE UP, IS TO WEEKLY (OR MORE OFTEN) CHECK YOUR OIL, AS PRESCRIBED IN YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL. AND TO SHOW OFF THAT "SHOCK AND AWE ENGINE", TO WANNA BE'S!

LIKE I SAID, YOURS IS MUCH NEWER THAN I'M USED TO, ---IF I GET LOST, I WILL FIND ANOTHER EXPERT TO ASSIST---

I WILL HANG, ALL THE WAY. IF YOU CONTINUE TO RESPOND

CAN YOU SEND ME A "DECENT PIC" OF YOUR STARTER SOLENOID/ RELAY. THE THING ATOP YOUR STARTER.I WANT TO SEE WIRES GOING TO IT (I WILL MAYBE MODIFY YOUR PIC, AND SEND IT BACK, FOR MORE TESTING PROCEDURES.

NEED COMPLETE JEEP INFO, TO INCLUDE ENGINE SIZE OF YOUR JEEP (THAT YEAR HAD A 4 AND A 6 CYLINDER.I HAVE COMPLIMENTARY ACCESS TO "MITCHELL I" (A "SPIFF" FOR ANSWERING HERE). IT'S AN ONLINE REPAIR MANUAL, HAS SUPER WIRING DIAGRAMS, AND I CAN POST THEM, FOR YOU, IF NEEDED. I SEEM TO BE PRETTY PREPARED TO HELP!

WHERE ARE YOU AT NOW, WITH THE BAD CONNECTION SEARCH?

PLEASE GET ME THE JEEP INFO AND PIC I REQUESTED, IF THE CONNECTIONS ARE 100%, AND STILL A "NO TURNY OVER" SITUATION

DAUGHTER DEMONSTRATES MY REMOVABLE CANOE/ PIPE/ LUMBER RACKS
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 8:23 PM
DUUGAN
Hey, Medic (or Doc to me)

Was Medevac'd from Vietnam. I researched the Park-No Start on three different Jeep forums, until I found this one today. Whew! I'm so glad, because what the Jeep dealership suggested would have cost me an arm and a leg! I had been experiencing an engine light, that had been diagnosed as an exhaust leak, most likely stemming from the gas cap (I own a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain Unlimited, 4DR 4WD, 3.8L, with automatic transmission.) I paid out the nose for an OEM gas cap from the dealership but the engine light condition did not clear. When the Park-No Start condition started, I forgot about the exhaust leak condiiton and focused on the Park-No Start condition. Taking the advice that you gave Ricks97, I bought a new battery. Most the exhaust leak and Park-No Start conditions cleared! Thanks, Doc!
Monday, August 28th, 2017 AT 10:24 AM
Just saw you!

Glad you gotter all fixed up.

You be sure to come back on here if you get stumped with another Jeep solution waiting to happen.

Next time, a nice Jeep pic would look nice on your thread!

The Medic
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017 AT 3:09 PM