Major Coolant Leak

ALEXCANIPE
  • 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
I'm on my 2nd bottle of coolant in 4 days. On the bottom of my radiator there is a stream of coolant coming out behind the lowest belt wheel when the car is running. When I turn off the engine the coolant stops flowing eventually. I have a feeling its a gasket of some sort. My big question is, can I fix this on my own with minimal knowledge of auto mechanics. Also what are the parts called/needed for the this repair and if I can do this on my own where can I find some resources to help me out as far as instruction? If I can't do this on my own what might be a rough estimate?

I attempted to post a couple of pics up but the website won't recognize them. So I can send pics directly through email if that helps.

As always I really appreciate all the help I get from you folks. I'm always learning from you.

~Alex

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 2:27 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Sounds like a water pump. That and the thermostat need to be replaced.
Can you do it? I dont know but it is involved.

A bid? Around 400-500 if a shop did it all correctly. A lot of shops will do just the pump but it is not the correct way. It needs the thermostat and a flush to do it correctly. You may find a shop to do it for about 150-200 but be prepared for more issues.

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 2:32 PM
ALEXCANIPE
Until I get the funds to have the repair done, is it ok that I just keep refilling the coolant tank? Does this repair need to be a major priority to keep the car running?
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 2:56 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Your adding a lot of coolant. Make sure you keep it full till you can repair it. Do not use a sealer as it will clog up the rad and heater.

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:01 PM
ALEXCANIPE
Alright. Thank you again for all your help.

Alex
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:10 PM
OK THIS IS MY 3RD ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT THIS, NO CLUE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE SITE, A FEW GLITCHES HERE LATELY.

AS FAR AS YOUR LEAK, KINDA VAGUE ON THE LOCATION, IS IT FROM THE RADIATOR OR FROM THE ENGINE?

THE RADIATOR IS NOT USUALLY A HARD ITEM TO PULL OUT/ REPLACE/ OR HAVE REPAIRED/ AND REPLACE

SOMETIMES A HOSE, OR ANY LEAK FOR THAT MATTER, CAN SQUIRT SOME DISTANCE, AND FOOL YOU INTO THINKING THE LEAK IS IN A DIFFERENT LOCATION.

A HOSE WOULD PROBABLY BE AN EZ FIX, FOR YOU

A SMALL INSPECTION MIRROR, OR EVEN A "COMPACT", STOLEN OUT OF ONE OF THEM EVIL FEMALE'S POCKETBOOKS, USED ALONG WITH A GOOD FLASHLIGHT, MIGHT PIN DOWN EXACTLY WHERE THE LEAK ORIGINATES FROM.

YOUR MENTIONING THE PULLEY AND BELTS, STEERS ME TOWARD THINKING. "WATER PUMP". EVEN IF THESE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME YEAR AS YOURS, LOOK THRU THEM AND SEE IF THIS KINDA THING SOMETHING IS SOMETHING YOU ARE "TOOLED UP" FOR AND CAPABLE OF DOING?

CHANGING MY SEARCH WORDS, OR CLICKING ON SOME OF THESE, AND WATCHING THE RESULTS DOWN THE SIDE, MIGHT PRESENT BETTER VIDEOS TO YOU.

IF YOU THINK THIS SORTA REPAIR IS OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE, LET ME KNOW, I CAN THROW OUT SOME PLACES TO GO/ PEOPLE TO SEE, WHICH MIGHT BE AN ALTERNATIVE TO ONE OF THOSE LARGER EXPENSIVE SHOPS/ THE DEALER.

YOUR TURN

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:23 PM
ASEMASTER6371
No problem
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:27 PM
I'M PIZZED!--HUNT AND PECKED THIS OUT 3 TIMES! WOULDN'T TAKE IT, LOST IT EACH TIME! LOOKS LIKE. TIME ENOUGH, FOR YA'LL TO GET STARTED AND FINISH! SORRY!

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:29 PM