1997 HONDA CIVIC WILL NOT START WITH KEY

• joeybrinkman
  • 1997 Honda Civic

I have replaced the starter and ignition switch and checked every fuse and relay on this car and it still will not crank using the key it will however start by jumping across the solenoid what could be my problem

Friday, August 30th, 2013 AT 1:25 PM

• Ty Anderson
  • 706 posts

It sounds to me like the control circuit of the starting system is not working. If jumping the solenoid makes the engine turn over then we can assume there is no problem there. Do you have a manual transmission or automatic? A open clutch switch would prevent the engine from cranking over. Let me know. Talk to you soon, TY

Friday, August 30th, 2013 AT 7:26 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

SINCE IT WILL START.........I'M GONNA "ASSUME" ALL OF THE "GOODIES" IN BETWEEN ARE "PROBABLY" WORKING...........THIS WILL GET YOU IN THERE FASTER....YOU CAN ALWAYS DROP BACK LATER AND CHECK THE "GOODIES" OUT (WHICH MAY BE SLOW GOING)

JUST FOR GIGGLES--SNATCH THE BATTERY OUT, TAKE IT TO A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE.....AT MANY, THEY WILL THOROUGHLY TEST IT FOR FREE

THIS WILL ELIMINATE ONE FACTOR OUT OF THE EQUATION.....BEFORE YOU HAVE 10 OTHER FACTORS ALL MINGLED TOGETHER...........EVEN A BRAND NEW BATTERY CAN BE BAD IMMEDIATELY/ IN AN HOUR/ IN 2 WEEKS/ ETC (OR ANY OTHER MAN-MADE ITEM)

THIS NEXT INFO IS USUALLY THE PROBLEM THAT I SEE DAILY, IF THE BATTERY CHECKED OUT GOOD...SEE "MY ANSWERS" IN THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

THERE'S PICS AT THE END

I'M GOING WITH THE "BAD BATTERY" OR "MOST LIKELY" ONE OF THE ISSUES "AT THE BATTERY" MENTIONED IN MY LINK

IF YOU DON'T WANNA READ THE NOVEL-LIKE ANSWER IN THE LINK..........AT LEAST SCROLL DOWN TO MY PICS AND CHECK THEM OUT!

REALLY "GET IN THERE"----BE TOUGH!

LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

Friday, August 30th, 2013 AT 7:55 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

OK

I JUST GOT MY GLASSES ON.I BORROWED MY DAUGHTER'S LITTLE LAPTOP, AS MY WIFE WON'T TURN LOOSE OF THE DESKTOP W/ THE 32 INCH TV MONITOR (THAT I CAN SEE WELL)

I THOUGHT IT SAID IT WOULD WORK BY "JUMP STARTING" IT

I'LL STAND BY SOME OF THE CONNECTION ISSUES IN MY LINK. SO CHECK 'EM OUT AT ALL OF THE LOCATIONS YOU CAN

CONTINUE TO REPLY TO Ty Anderson AS FAR AS THE "GOODIES IN BETWEEN"

SORRY :-)

Friday, August 30th, 2013 AT 8:06 PM