1997 Honda Accord Overheating

HOFF9060
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
Car overheats at idle. Dumps coolant out of overflow. It has a new thermostat, and radiator. No visible leaks on any hoses. Holds pressure on tester at 11 lbs. No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. If the a/c is running it appears to make no difference in slowing or speeding up the overheating. Car runs fine. No rough idle. Great on gas. Both fans run and operate properly. Drives fine for daily use, then may overheat unexpectedly. Pours coolant from overflow. Sometimes overflow dumps out when vehicle is at normal operating temperature. I am stumped.
Saturday, August 15th, 2015 AT 9:06 AM

KHLOW2008
Is the radiator cap new and of the correct specification?
Saturday, August 15th, 2015 AT 7:56 PM
HOFF9060
Radiator cap is new. Just bought the car and it looked like it had overheated previously. I replaced the cap. I can not tell if it seals 100% though.
Saturday, August 15th, 2015 AT 8:05 PM
KHLOW2008
If everything is working correctly, you might have a bad water pump. Sometimes the water pump impeller wears out.
Sunday, August 16th, 2015 AT 1:23 AM
HOFF9060
Is there any way to test the impeller without removing the pump? It seems to run fine for a while. Normal operating temp, but as soon as I slow in city traffic, it hits past the red line and begins to dump coolant. I also noticed the fan runs for about 10 minutes after the car is shut off, even if it has been running at normal temp.
Sunday, August 16th, 2015 AT 6:30 AM
KHLOW2008
There are no proper way of testing the water pump. What you can do is start engine with radiator cap off and let it run for a while till the thermostat opens. Watch the radiator neck for coolant movement.
+1
Monday, August 17th, 2015 AT 7:39 AM
HOFF9060
The pump seems to be working. Water definitely flowing through the radiator. Everything seems to be in working order. After the car is at what appears to be operating temperature, I am able to remove the radiator cap and there does not seem to be any pressure release. I cannot tell if it seals properly from where the old cap had melted. If it won't hold pressure at the cap, could that cause the coolant reservoir to overflow and not draw coolant back into the radiator?
Monday, August 17th, 2015 AT 3:12 PM
KHLOW2008
If it is not seated properly it would definitely cause problem. Check the depth of the radiator neck and the height of the radiator cap valve area.
Thursday, August 20th, 2015 AT 7:20 AM