1997 Honda Accord ECU

SENORLOPEZ
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
Having troubles with ECU. I did an engine swap had a 2.2L to a H22 engine. The engine came from I believe a 98 prelude. Engine was purchased from JDM Motors. Mechanics hooked up Accord ecu and not the H22 ecu. So when I hooked up the H22 ecu, because the Accord ecu wouldn't kick Vtec. Now that the H22 ecu is hooked up it will but the problem is when the check engine light is off the vtec wont kick but will take off. The vtec will only kick in when the check engine light is on but the car putts in first and second gear until hits higher RPM's and when you hook up a code reader it reads error cannot read codes. So my question is what could be the cause of this?
Monday, April 28th, 2014 AT 7:30 PM

You need the correct ecu for the car because the hh2 model may not have some of the same sensors etc as the old one. Make sure you can connect all sensors for for the 97 model.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 6:14 AM
SENORLOPEZ
It's the ecu that came with the motor though. So it's the right ecu for the motor but not the accord itself. So you're are saying the ecu won't work for the motor because it's not the right model car? But when we hooked the accord ecu which was to the 2.2l non vtec single overhead cam to a DOHC vtec. The accord ecu won't kick vtec.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 7:50 AM
It is not going to work period you are going from a dual overhead cam to single plus there are parts on a 98 that arenot on a 97 transmission wise.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 8:20 AM
SENORLOPEZ
No the other way around. I swapped from the SOHC to DOHC and I swapped trannys too. It is a basic 97 honda accord dx. I blew the motor and dropped an h22 in it.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 8:33 AM
It is not going to work like I said I have no further suggestions.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 8:34 AM
SENORLOPEZ
You didn't answer my question though? I don't think you got it. The ecu matches the motor which the transmission matches the motor. The check engine light is on. Vtec only works when the check engine light is on. And the engine is sluggish in first gear when the check engine light is on.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 10:32 AM
Then san for codes if you think you can get any and see what comes up it may be something you can't fix.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 10:34 AM
SENORLOPEZ
It won't read codes though. It says error can't read codes. So I would need a new ecu basically is what it comes down too?
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 10:37 AM
You need to take it to a pro to see if he can get it to read codes if not then it's your problem form replacing what you did. There is probably a different wiring issue in the car from both ecu's. To the current one you are using. Good luck on that. I have no further comments.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 10:40 AM