Vibration and cabin noise

KANDABARNES
  • 1997 GMC SUBURBAN
I have a loud cabin noise/resonance (sounds like a sub-woofer) associated with a vibration that occurs at about 60 mph up to about 70 mph. At higher speed the noise becomes less audible, but the vibration is still clearly there. It is not gear-dependent, as it follows the speed of the vehicle - continues whether its in drive, 3rd, or coasting in neutral. All u-joints have been replaced and the drive shaft spins with about 1 mm of run-out at the rear (I don't know if that's too much or not), and none at the front.

Everybody kept telling me it was tires, which didn't seem right to me, so I put it on jack stands, removed the rear differential gears, and ran the truck up to 65 mph in gear. The noise is identical to when it's running down the road at that speed. So. That rules out tires, wheels, hubs, rear differential, etc. I could not see anything visibly vibrating under the truck when it was making the noise/vibration.

Nothing leaks, the drive shaft weights appear to all be there, and I can see any other indication as to where to look for the problem. Any thoughts what I should try next?
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:39 PM

DOCFIXIT
Put my money on out of balance drive shaft
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:56 PM