LOW FUEL ON FUEL GAUGE

1997 Geo Prizm

THwrangler

December, 29, 2010 AT 1:58 PM

I was wondering if you know how much gas and/or Miles are left if you are just about touching the orange bar on the fuel gauge for a 1997 Geo Prizm.

THwrangler

December, 29, 2010 AT 2:00 PM

Here is a pic of the fuel gauge!

rndarrow

December, 29, 2010 AT 2:36 PM

Depends on the size of the fuel tank. Most likely its a 10 to 13 gallon fuel tank. Also does it have a low fuel light on the istrument guage cluster. If it does when the light comes on typically indicated you can drive approximately 30 more miles. My suggestion would be not to run the can under 1/4 tank. Running the car on empty all the time can cause premature fuel pump failure. The gas in the tank helps keeps the fuel pump cool.

THwrangler

December, 29, 2010 AT 3:14 PM

Thank you rndarrow!

I think it might be a 10 gallon but not sure. If it has the low fuel light on the cluster, I don't know. It's never been on before so I don't know!

The auto center told us to run the car to near empty because they thought we had bad gas in the tank. Then he wanted us to add techron fuel system cleaner to a full tank of Super (93) Gas to hopefully fix the problem we are seeing!

SO, by the picture how many more miles would you say we have before running out of gas?

Thanks for the help!

rndarrow

December, 29, 2010 AT 3:54 PM

I really wouldnt know for sure. I would guess 2 to 3 gallons left in the tank. So what ever kind of millage your getting with the car will determine how many miles you can go. Pesonally I would go ahead and fill the car up and add your fuel additive.
Hope this helps!

mhpautos

Normally the reserve is 8-10 liters, so 4.5 liters to the gallon so the 3 gallons would be about correct.

BLUMONSTER

If it is exactly at the E line on a car at a level surface, 10 gallons of gas will fill it up.I just got gas today and the indicator was on E line, it took 10.2 gallons to fill up. Orange bar is actually a bit above the E line. From my experience E is more accurate to gauge what is left in the tank.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang