1997 Ford Taurus Negative Battery Cable Mounting Location

BOBBCATT2000
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
I purchased a 97 Taurus knowing that it had problems. First I noticed that the wrong style battery was installed. Upon removal, when I disconnected the negative cable there were two wires. A smaller one attached to the body and a larger one attached to NOTHING. There is a small metal piece at the end of this cable with a hole to attach to something, and I'm guessing the cable is attached to this with a screw somewhere. But where? I have looked all over and cannot find a picture where it goes. Can you help?
Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 AT 1:22 AM

Is this an aftermarket battery cable? Does it appear that the connector was ever used? To me, it sounds like a spare body ground. Since you already have one connected and one going to the engine block, that should be all that is needed.
Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 AT 6:01 PM
BOBBCATT2000
Not aftermarket. Cable was not connected to engine block. It was just connected to the fender. I figured it out finally. The transmission was replaced by the previous owner and whoever installed it did not replace the bolts in the correct locations. One of the bolts attached the tranny to the engine had threads to attach the negative cable to it. I found the special bolt on the back side of the engine. It's a miracle that the car ever ran. After switching the bolts around and attaching the negative cable to it, it cleared up two trouble codes (O2 sensors), fixed my blinker problem, and made the radio sound better! LOL Thanks for your response. Ron
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:22 AM
You mean the primary ground wasn't attached? I assumed that it was a different wire. Like you, I can't believe it started and ran. Since it did, however, make sure the wire that attaches to the body isn't burnt or damaged. It was getting way too much power through it.
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 8:42 AM
BOBBCATT2000
No, it wasn't attached. There are two wires on the negative cable. One is smaller, this was attached to the fender, the other is larger, and was just hanging down in front of the engine. I did go an look for any signs of damage, and they looked fine (whew!) Thanks for that advice! I cleaned the engine really good and decided to inspect. Good thing too. There was a transmission bolt missing underneath along with a few other things that needed to be tied up. Whoever installed that transmission should be shot! What a shoddy job. Overall, I am pleased, considering that I paid very little for the car and it is a one owner (original title) and low miles. Thanks again for your help! This site is great! Ron
Saturday, October 25th, 2014 AT 1:12 AM
Ron:

Glad to help. Let me know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, October 25th, 2014 AT 8:27 PM